Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today was first dive with my suit. Appart from some condensation, bone dry. One unforeseen benefit of dry gloves is that you can use them as trim tool if you are head heavy.
And definitely no more drysuit diving without P-valve, now I just have to find supply of Bard caths that doesn't cost arm and leg. It took me 10 minutes to get over psych block and let it go, and that first initial was definitely uh-oh moment of do I need to wash my suit now?

Has anyone successfully appealed a customs fee through UPS?

My suit was finally delivered, and I got hit with a $400 fee (order total was around $1,400 for the suit and undergarment).

You deserve it for not buying local US made suit.

You deserve it for not buying local US made suit.
Maybe if the US prices on a drysuits were anywhere close to sane they would get all this business.... but they're not.

Only because this thread has been really useful and I'd hate to see it derailed again, we've already had this conversation in June 2021, in this thread, with @BoltSnap so I'm going to quote it here so we can hopefully not do it again.

1. In a response to a complaint about customs fees, we're told to buy American suits. The person this was a response to was actually Canadian:
Keep it local and buy American!

2. A response addressing the competitiveness of Seaskin vs. US manufacturers:
When the options are something manufactured on cheap 3rd world labor vs buying locally, I try and buy local often as is feasible. It's easier to say than do.

But when we are talking about something manufactured in a country with stronger labor laws than the US and stronger currency resulting in more expensive labor, if the product is still cheaper, that's American businesses not being competitive, and that's not my problem to solve.

3. A claim without evidence that US manufacturers are actually competitive:
Rationalization and justification not taking the full picture in but it SOUNDS good.

There are MANY drysuit manufacturers in North America, US and Canada, that cover a very wide spectrum of price points. American based manufacturers are very competitive especially for somebody living in North America. Stating otherwise is simply an emotional statement to rationalize and justify not so wise decisions during these most difficult times for local economies. Of course the Queen and her pretty subjects will be using their tax income to pay for your vaccines and other critical infrastructure in America and their "stronger labor laws" will bail you out when you are falling.

4. Requests for evidence:
can you link me to a North American drysuit manufacturer that is competitive with Seaskin?

I would also like to know of even a single US-based drysuit manufacturer that is competitive with Seaskin.

Seriously! That would be awesome!

IMHO-it's not even close. If someone knows a different US manufacturer that is closer match - I'd love to know too.

5. No evidence and the thread moves on, which is what I'm hoping happens here. We're currently on step 2 again.

To bring it back on topic, I've done ~50 dives in my suit so far and aside from some relatively significant channeling in my wrist seal, I'm very happy with my suit. No leaks, no issues, and I can't really blame the seals for channeling when it's probably because of my wrist veins. I also wouldn't get a warm neck again. I don't think it's doing much at all for warmth and I've never used it to hold down a hood. Lastly, I got Kubi rings but haven't needed dry gloves yet and the hard metal sometimes interferes with a canister light. It's just a little awkward sometimes but I'd look more closely at other options if I were buying another suit. Those minor quibbles notwithstanding, I've been incredibly happy with my suit and would buy another one if I needed to.

Only because this thread has been really useful and I'd hate to see it derailed again, we've already had this conversation in June 2021, in this thread, with @BoltSnap so I'm going to quote it here so we can hopefully not do it again.

1. In a response to a complaint about customs fees, we're told to buy American suits. The person this was a response to was actually Canadian:

2. A response addressing the competitiveness of Seaskin vs. US manufacturers:

3. A claim without evidence that US manufacturers are actually competitive:

4. Requests for evidence:

5. No evidence and the thread moves on, which is what I'm hoping happens here. We're currently on step 2 again.

To bring it back on topic, I've done ~50 dives in my suit so far and aside from some relatively significant channeling in my wrist seal, I'm very happy with my suit. No leaks, no issues, and I can't really blame the seals for channeling when it's probably because of my wrist veins. I also wouldn't get a warm neck again. I don't think it's doing much at all for warmth and I've never used it to hold down a hood. Lastly, I got Kubi rings but haven't needed dry gloves yet and the hard metal sometimes interferes with a canister light. It's just a little awkward sometimes but I'd look more closely at other options if I were buying another suit. Those minor quibbles notwithstanding, I've been incredibly happy with my suit and would buy another one if I needed to.

So you pick and choose your quotes and make your own point while ignoring what was said in its entirety.

And yes, buy American for the value, quality and contribution to local economy. I find that MOST American made products are of the highest quality and most of them have second to none customer service.

You live in the US and want better lives and higher quality of life but you don't want to contribute to the local economy, what a shame. Other countries in the world are proud and supportive of their own products and would buy them first even if they cost more, that is a sign of patriotism and deeper understanding of how the buying habits affect the local economy but not the cheapskates here. I live thousands of miles out of the US but I always do my best to buy American first for it is extremely obivious how critical supporting home economies in today's world. The cheapskates find every possible way to rationalize their purchases of foreign goods in place of the high quality locally made products yet they are the first to complain when their local school system is collapsing because they are in need of more money or their highway infrastructure is falling apart because the government doesn't have the funds to pay for it. What hypocrisy and short shortsightedness. You probably complain about higher unemployment rates while enjoying buying foreign made products. Please let our follow citizens working in drysuit manufacturing companies in the US how you feel about it all. I am sure that you are proud of yourself.

So you pick and choose your quotes and make your own point while ignoring what was said in its entirety.

And yes, buy American for the value, quality and contribution to local economy. I find that MOST American made products are of the highest quality and most of them have second to none customer service.

You live in the US and want better lives and higher quality of life but you don't want to contribute to the local economy, what a shame. Other countries in the world are proud and supportive of their own products and would buy them first even if they cost more, that is a sign of patriotism and deeper understanding of how the buying habits affect the local economy but not the cheapskates here. I live thousands of miles out of the US but I always do my best to buy American first for it is extremely obivious how critical supporting home economies in today's world. The cheapskates find every possible way to rationalize their purchases of foreign goods in place of the high quality locally made products yet they are the first to complain when their local school system is collapsing because they are in need of more money or their highway infrastructure is falling apart because the government doesn't have the funds to pay for it. What hypocrisy and short shortsightedness. You probably complain about higher unemployment rates while enjoying buying foreign made products. Please let our follow citizens working in drysuit manufacturing companies in the US how you feel about it all. I am sure that you are proud of yourself.
Why would I pay $3K for a U.S. Drysuit when I can pay $1.1K for a UK Drysuit? sUPorT ThE EConOmY. No thanks. I’ll support my pocket book.

Why would I pay $3K for a U.S. Drysuit when I can pay $1.1K for a UK Drysuit? sUPorT ThE EConOmY. No thanks. I’ll support my pocket book.

You don't have to pay a $3K for a US drysuit. There are several companies in the US (and Canada) with MANY options for less expensive suits with high value (including DUI). You just have to shop around and do your homework.

You don't have to pay a $3K for a US drysuit. There are several companies in the US (and Canada) with MANY options for less expensive suits with high value (including DUI). You just have to shop around and do your homework.
Can you please point me in the proper direction for a comparable suit that is also similar in price?

One of my buddies just bought a DUI and it came with less options, but the price was insane.

Can you please point me in the proper direction for a comparable suit that is also similar in price?

One of my buddies just bought a DUI and it came with less options, but the price was insane.

It isn't my job to do the shopping for you, you have the internet wide open for you in US, let your fingers do the typing. There many online dealers in the US who will be happy to work with you to find you a proper suit with the options and budget that suits you. You just have to shop around and email them. I do that while sitting thousands of miles away and don't have the internet you do nor the payment facilities you have back home in the US. I have to pay extra for the shipping and surcharges in currency transfers yet I buy American in the greater majority of my foreign purchases. American vendors are, and have always been, light years in customer service compared with the Euros and galaxies ahead of the Asian vendors on top of the quality of their products.

DUI is one example btw, there are several other drysuit vendors in the US and Canada.

You can also find every excuse to buy foreign made products and rationalize it as you wish still, it is a free country but don't complain about jobs, falling infrastructure and other economics based issues back home. Heck, let China and other mortal enemies grow their economies to dominate the market while you are enjoying your foreign made drysuits, I am sure that you will have great time doing it.

Back
Top Bottom