Seawing Nova breakage question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

got the latest models of the gorillas. but they did finally break on me during a dive with a student, doing a shore dive.
i really loved these fins too. better than any fin i see on the market. had over 400 dives on them and lasted 14 months. I was just swimming slowly and suddenly one of the joints just snapped. no signs of wear and tear.. i kept good care of these fins during its life, as they are my babies. I'm hoping scuba pro replaces them cuz they are far too expensive to just break.
anyone know how to send back to scuba pro??

Take them to the dealer from whom you bought them. SP will replace them.

I have the second generation fins, love them.

I had a pair of the original Novas, had one start to crack at the hinge just under 50 dives. This is pretty common on the first design.
My replacement Gorillas have 4+ years and over 200 dives on them, very happy with them.
They are positively buoyant.

I've worn out 3 sets, one original type and two never hinge style gorillas, the newest fins have mold markings and I think they may have changed the compound but don't know. The last ones to break were much easier to exchange since it's more common, I think they are trying to fix the issue, still great fins overall.

I broke the Sea Wing Nova (twice) and then I broke the gorilla fins. The breaking the gorilla fins was a fluke. I got caught in a sudden strong current and needed to really motor out of it.

I am an underwater photographer and I often have to play catch up with the group. I am a strong swimmer, so I can really stress fins. I really like the fins. Easy to use. Easy to control your position. They are light. I have big feet and for some odd reason they make fins in my size really enormous.

I switched to jet fins. They require a different kick. There is a learning curve. I really like them.

I would think that if you are concerned get the gorilla fins. They shou,d serve you well.

Several people up here dive with the Sea Wing Nova in the mountain rivers. So far no one has broken theirs. The newest version is stronger than the original version.

I was surprised to see this thread I started 5 years ago was still around. To answer my own question, my wife and I have now both been using the Novas fins for quite a long time now with no breakage or problems. I did have the rubber piece on the spring straps tear but then found that putting on the rubber fin straps for the Aeris Accel fins makes the Novas work out even better for me. Wife still uses the spring straps.

Wife still uses the spring straps.

Spring straps on Novas?

I have a pair of the Gen 1 Novas and I really like them. I also have a trip planned for this fall on a Live Aboard (the Aquacat out of Nassau, Bahamas). Are there any telltale signs that indicate if/when the fin is about to break or does it just happen with little or no warning?

I do like my Novas, but I wouldn't hesitate to replace them prior to a trip if I had concerns about their reliability.

Back
Top Bottom