Second pool session, thinking of quitting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curling? You've only got one round-shaped thing with curling. With reversi, you've got dozens. So it's dozens of times better.

Curling? You've only got one round-shaped thing with curling. With reversi, you've got dozens. So it's dozens of times better.

Yeah but with curling the round thing is big, plus you get to use brooms. Curling is chess on ice!

nebrunner

This can be dealt with but it will take a little bit of work. First of all you seem to be fond of nasal breathing and second you are hypersensitive to getting water where it usually isn't. This will take a little conditioning and then you need to break down those aversions by desensitizing yourself in small steps. I'm no doctor but it's highly unlikely that this is a medical or insurmountable matter.

Take that snorkel gear back to the pool and go do some laps, like :30 every other day. Better yet you and your wife can head to the ocean, lake or pond and have some nice long excursions just snorkeling along. This will train you to be an oral breather. The whole scoop is here.

Once you are getting comfortable with this you want to get comfortable with breathing with your mask off. Clean your bathtub well and run a nice warm comfortable bath of clean water. Get your mask and snorkel and get in there, on your belly, knees at the drain and begin to challenge yourself.

Let a little water into the mask and rise to drain it. In small steps add more and more. Try to stay down for a little more breathing with each challenge but don't over stress yourself. Eventually you want to flood your mask, lift it to your forehead and stay under while breathing from the snorkel. When you are ready you can begin to clear the mask as you were shown in the pool. You can begin to open your eyes a little at a time but that's not usually a requirement, but while you're at it go for the full monty. After a session or two I bet you will be gazing into the water, breathing from your snorkel and counting your fingers.

Once you are good with this stay in the tub and let the water cool (or slowly add cold water) to approximate the cooler conditions of a training pool and then the subsequent open water.

Trust me, I know many who had the same stumbling block including yours truly.The hubub of a group class is not the place to work this out. Challenge yourself in a comfortable nonthreatening environment and do so in small steps. You will become desensitized and the door to the world of scuba diving will swing open for you. Trust me when I say, that this is worth the effort, especially since you (like me) are fortunate enough to have your wife join you in the adventure.

Pete

This was a huge problem for me as well. I echo what the others have said. Lay in the bathtub and do it, put your face in the sink and do it, fill your mask up with water and breathe. Scuba is amazing. It is worth giving it all that you've got. After you have given it a good hard try and you still can't do it, then you can say that scuba just isn't for you. It's definitely not for some people. I tried to quit at the first pool session, and after 80 dives I still become anxious (mostly because I only dive on vacations), but I am so happy that I stuck with it. It has been life-changing for me.

When underwater and experiencing water going up the nose I always find breathing gently out of your nose the best thing to do. Not sure if it's acceptable for SCUBA but as a kid I surfed and went to the beach a lot and got water up my nose from the turbulent water constantly. It's a terrible feeling so my older brother told me to breathe out my nose while under the water to stop water going in it. Works an absolute treat. Other than this, unless you are literally sucking water up by breathing through your nose, no water should go up there (unless you are upside down).

Don't quit mate hang in there.

thanks to everyone who had info to share, thi is the one thing I worry will keep me from diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom