Securing corrugated hose on BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watboy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've got 60 dives on my Halcyon eclipse now, and am very happy with it. But i've been having a minor issue i'm not sure how to solve. I keep the inflator tucked in the rubber D on my left side. There is next to zero slack, and initially I was still able to release air from the inflator when i'm vertical, just by tipping it upwards and the bubble could vent. As I've gotten more comfortable with the setup, I now only need 1.6kg of ballast, (I dive tropics, no wetsuit). Less weight = less air = I can't vent from the corrugated hose in the vertical position unless I free it from the rubber D ring and raise it by hand. This in itself hasn't been much of an issue as i've gotten much better at staying in a horizontal position and releasing from the rear dump valve. I only need to raise the corrugated hose on the start of my descent, secure it and then i'm fine for the rest of the dive. Then one day I was practicing some OOA ascents and I found it to be a PITA to have to release the inflator when you don't have two hands free and have other things to worry about. So i'm trying to find a new way to secure the corrugated hose. If i leave it out of the rubber d ring, it can flop behind my back, out of reach. I thought of zip tie it to the top of my shoulder strap, it will still flop around but at least it can't fall out of reach. My halcyon dealer thought the zip tie it was a bad idea for reasons i forget. Another instructor showed me his rig where he leashed it to his shoulder strap with a bungie cord, so it wouldn't dangle too much yet he could still raise it over head. Yet my other friends wonder why i have this problem as they seem to have no issue venting while the inflator is secured. Right now i'm leaning towards the bungie route and was wondering if anyone else has any suggestions. I've also double checked the positioning of the the D-rings and the back plate and they all seem fine and i've gotten my trim down, so i'd rather not readjust my harness.

I've seen some people using bicycle tubing to keep the corrugated hose in check. I've seen them sewn Velcro flaps onto the harness to do the same thing.

Just use a small loop of bungie. Make sure it's not to tight so the hose can easily be manipulated to vent without putting to much stress on the hose.

Attachments

• Bungie Pic.jpg
    Bungie Pic.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 269
Could you please clarify how you are keeping the corrugated hose in place on your harness?

I'm not sure what you mean by a rubber D-ring. Some people mount a small bungee loop at the left chest D-ring. Is that what you're referring to?

Try running the wing inflater hose under a small piece of bicycle inner tube positioned above the left chest D-ring on the harness. In this configuration, the only thing holding the corrugated hose in place is the inflater hose anchored underneath that inner tube. When you lift the power inflator assembly to exhaust during an ascent, the inflator hose should slide nicely underneath the anchoring inner tube. Give it a try. You should only need one hand to operate it.

[Edited later: What boomx5 describes can also work. I've set things up both ways with success. With his method, as he pointed out, you have to make sure that the bungee loop is not too small/tight.]

Last edited:
What I do is wrap a small bungie loop around the corrogated hose/lp inflator hose, and then zip tie that to my left D ring. Doesn't float away, but provides sufficient flexibility for me to dump. You can adjust tightness of zip tie/bungie loop length to ensure you have sufficient flexibility to dump.

Just use a small loop of bungie. Make sure it's not to tight so the hose can easily be manipulated to vent without putting to much stress on the hose.

Thats similar to my current setup. I realize i was calling it a rubber d-ring cuz it looks just like one, but in actuality its just a big rubber ring that just looks like a D-ring once secured in place. My problem is that in this setup, I can only secure my hose up to the oral inflator, ring is too small to get it past the inflator button. The rubber ring is not very elastic, and since its secured at the oral inflator, I have to release it to raise the hose. If only i could get a longer hose, i think that might work as well.

A longer hose will defeat the purpose. It will only serve as a trap. Get rid of the rubber d ring thing, Use a piece of bungee cord, Only pass the inflator hose thru it. This will allow you to raise the inflator and the corded bungee will allow the hose to slide easily and still keep it in place when you let it go. As to the inner tube take it and put it around the corrugated hose and lp hose about top of the shoulder. No lower! If your lp hose is the correct length this will be enough to keep them together and streamlined without interfering with anything else.

Use your rear dump Valve.

I have a longer hose on mine and i am in the process of trying to get a shorter one, it does become and issue.

Currently i loop mine through some bicyle tubing and have zero issues with it... Currently i only deflate through my rear dump and never had an issue, if need be i would be no trouble to go vertical and dump from the inflator if need be.

Here is a shot from yesterday, Kind of showing how the longer hose does get in the way.

mikenov72009.jpg

Thats similar to my current setup. I realize i was calling it a rubber d-ring cuz it looks just like one, but in actuality its just a big rubber ring that just looks like a D-ring once secured in place. My problem is that in this setup, I can only secure my hose up to the oral inflator, ring is too small to get it past the inflator button. The rubber ring is not very elastic, and since its secured at the oral inflator, I have to release it to raise the hose. If only i could get a longer hose, i think that might work as well.

It's kind of hard to say, but your bungie may be to tight on your corrigated hose. I'd just keep working with it. I think you'll be fine. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom