Securing corrugated hose on BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The "rubber D ring" is a large o-ring.

I use bungee, a big loop put in the same place as the "rubber D ring" and it works great. I use tire inner tube from a bike on the corrugated hose to hold my inflator hose in place along it.

thanks all, I think i'm going to try scott's setups. If I replace my rubber ring (sorry for calling it a rubber d) with a more elastic bungie cord, i'll be able secure my inflator beyond the button and I think that will things easier. I do actually prefer the bicycle inner tube idea, but i'm too lazy to undo my harness now that i got it buttoned in. Last q, from the pics, you attach the LP hose after securing it so it really can't get away?

I use what I call shock cord (I think it's 3/16ths bungie) in the same place as the rubber ring you have. It'll go completely around the inflator, and it keeps it in place, but can be massively stretched if there's a need to get the inflator up above my head.

One thing i have found with the rubber tube from a bicycle is that in need when pull up on the inflater hose the tire tube just rolls up out of the way. Holding it in place where you need it but not restricting it into that place only.

We also do the shock cord through the Triglide on the d-ring if need be it does not take much to break it when you yank it really hard, as TsandM said it stretches a huge amount.

One more Q. In addition to the bungie/shock cord in the tri-glide. Would it be a bad idea to secure the inflator at the top of the shoulder with 2nd bungie or zip tie? It would have to be secure enough that it would just leave the hose secured in place (i have some rubbers already on the hose where i fix the LP line to). Since I don't swap my wing, is there a problem leaving it fixed at that shoulder point? Yes, I am very lazy to undo the webbing to put on bicycle tubing, it took a month to get the fit and trim to where i want it. Just have this worry that one day that thing will flop behind my back and I can't get to it.

If you're worried about not being able to reassemble your harness with the proper fit, why don't you just make some marks on the harness with a paint pen before disassembly? Then you could thread as many loops of bicycle tubing onto the harness wherever you want. Reassembly should be a piece of cake with the marks.

We're all a bit lazy...but, come on, that's like complaining that the remote is on the other end of the couch. :D

One reason to not ziptie your wing's corrugated hose to the harness is that you should probably be storing your wing separately from your backplate. I hear that a lot of the wing "punctures" are actually due to pinch-flats. Storing them separately avoids this problem. Besides, isn't it easier to rinse the wing without it being attached to the BP?

Last edited:
Just have this worry that one day that thing will flop behind my back and I can't get to it.

I actually had this happen to me in my Helitrox class. The instructor had given me a left post failure (so no drysuit inflation) and my buddies had lost buoyancy during an air-share and were way above me. I had started to sink a little bit, took a deep breath and didn't stop, so I went for my inflator, and it wasn't there! Hmm . . . no dry suit, no wing inflate (I can't even orally inflate without an inflator), so I guess it's time to find out if I can swim up my rig! I went vertical and did exactly that.

I made the bungie loop smaller after that. (BTW, that failure was not instructor-induced -- it had just come out of the loop.)

Yes, I am very lazy to undo the webbing to put on bicycle tubing, it took a month to get the fit and trim to where i want it.

I doubt you are as lazy as me with fiddling with gear :wink: but really it doesn't take long to rethread a harness if you mark where everything goes first. I am hopeless at stuff like this (it took me well over an hour the first time to make my harness), but when I had to retake it apart to put the tubing on I was prepared and it took hardly any time at all. I put a bunch of bicycle tubing on (about 4 each side) so I won't have to bother again for a while. It is good for holding the bottom of torches that are clipped off to the d-rings and so on, and also holding my inflator hose :)

Not to sound like a whiny brat, but the last time I redid my webbing, i did exactly that. Grabbed a paint pen and marked it all. When it came time to reassemble, i could get close, but not exactly the same. I figured, close enough, but when i went diving i could just feel the balance shifted and constantly tweaked the adjustment. I know its probably 90% in my mind, but when you got something working, change is annoying. I'm not like my father who perpetually adjusts his golf swing. I like to set it once, be happy and forget it. So as for disassembly, zip ties are just a penny each? :)

Speaking of which, yet one more question. And forgive my use of wrong terminology. But the bolts that attach the STA/Wing to the back plate are a pain to use. Currently the wingnuts are placed so that they are between the back plate and me. Its not uncomfortable, its not digging into my back. But when it comes to accessing them to remove or put on, its a pain. I would think that it would be much easier to put the wing nuts on the STA side as it would be easier to get to. But all my dive buddies insist that that is the wrong way, but without much explanation as to why. As such, i rarely ever take the wing off and store and wash them as a single unit. Do you replace the bolts often? Mine are starting to get a little gunky feel to them...corrosion?

If you're worried about not being able to reassemble your harness with the proper fit, why don't you just make some marks on the harness with a paint pen before disassembly? Then you could thread as many loops of bicycle tubing onto the harness wherever you want. Reassembly should be a piece of cake with the marks.

We're all a bit lazy...but, come on, that's like complaining that the remote is on the other end of the couch. :D

One reason to not ziptie your wing's corrugated hose to the harness is that you should probably be storing your wing separately from your backplate. I hear that a lot of the wing "punctures" are actually due to pinch-flats. Storing them separately avoids this problem. Besides, isn't it easier to rinse the wing without it being attached to the BP?

Speaking of which, yet one more question. And forgive my use of wrong terminology. But the bolts that attach the STA/Wing to the back plate are a pain to use. Currently the wingnuts are placed so that they are between the back plate and me. Its not uncomfortable, its not digging into my back. But when it comes to accessing them to remove or put on, its a pain. I would think that it would be much easier to put the wing nuts on the STA side as it would be easier to get to. But all my dive buddies insist that that is the wrong way, but without much explanation as to why.

Try it once and my *guess* is you will have your answer. :wink:

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom