Security vs Cost and Bulk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tocantins,

As others have mentioned, I use a 13 cu.ft. pony bottle for a redundant system. While we all agree this is necessary in overhead conditions, it's also valuable for open water dives. It attaches to my tank via a Tiger Gear bracket that not only holds it securely with no wobbling, it also is easily removesable for tank exchanges. To offset the extra weight, I use a 2# trim weight on the left side of my tank so I don't even notice the pony is there. My primary reg set-up is a SeaQuest Spectrum/XR-2 and I also use the same reg on my pony. I also have an inflator/octo combo, a Zeagle Octo+.

I've used my pony several times in OOA situations, it's easy to hand it off to someone who needs it. You ask why two tanks. One reason is there is a possiblity of a 1st stage failure. I had this happen at 80 ft. and with my pony, I switched regs and aborted the dive. The pony allowed me to make a safe ascent, hitting all my safety stops with air to spare.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there definately a place for a pony bottle in plain old recreational dives. Maybe it's just a mind set that knowing it's there if you need it, it's no trouble to have along, not all that expensive to add to your system and you are not dependant an anyone but yourself. My life and peace of mind is worth the extra effort and expense!

Dee

Interesting thread... I think Herb King has come closest to nailing the why & when of necessary redundancy. Can you make a safe emergency swimming ascent in the event of a catastrophic first stage failure? If the answer is no, then a fully redundant (two first stages) system is required. The details of how you do it (separate bottle, "H" or "Y" valve, doubles) are largely no more than personal preference, with overhead restrictions (whether physical or decompression stop) dictating access to more gas.
Personally, I switch to a 95 & "H" valve with two Micras for dives with more than momentary excursions below 100', and to doubles at 130'. Additionally, I carry a 30cf pony with deco gas on decompression dives. I only use the 7' hose for caves and wreck penetrations, where a tandem swimming arrangement while sharing air may be necessary.
Rick

What's that, over 9-1/2 years, Jep? That may be a new record! I guess the pony topic probably hasn't been discussed in the interim. :wink:

I picked the oldest post in this area. :)
I hope all these posters are still with us--in every sense.

What were you doing 9.5yrs ago? :)
I had recently moved from Singapore to Chicago. I gained about 20 pounds and went 2 years without diving. The restaurants in Chicago might be better than those in NYC (it's hard to say, because you can't even get in in NY). Before I left Chicago I was calling Mr. Trotter, "Chuck." :wink:

I hope all these posters are still with us--in every sense.

I had recently moved from Singapore to Chicago. I gained about 20 pounds and went 2 years without diving. The restaurants in Chicago might be better than those in NYC (it's hard to say, because you can't even get in in NY). Before I left Chicago I was calling Mr. Trotter, "Chuck." :wink:

just think if you would have moved to Louisiana, you'd be +50 lbs....

Obviously not much! :p

No don't worry, it's a very common newbie error. You'll learn more as you keep diving.

Cheers,

Tim

Back
Top Bottom