selling photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes congratulations on your first sell. And do consider it a sale, not a chance to get published, there is a big difference there.

As an established magazine they should have standard rates of pay for each image based on size of page: 1/2 page, 1/4 page, spot etc etc Also, pay rates vary massively due to circulation of said magazine. If it circulates 1 million copies monthly it will pay better than one that circulates 50 000

Also, please don't utilize the term "beginner". It doesn't matter if you have been taking photos professionally for 30 years or just picked up a camera yesterday, you should still get paid the same.

What i would do is ask them for a copy of their standard photographic pay rates based on size used. That way you don't have to guestimate a price figure.

Mike

Mike has given good advice. The three most common factors are audience size (circulation of the publication), print size (full page, 1/2 page, 1/4 page, etc.), and length of use. There are several software packages that produce "industry standards" for pros (fotoQuote is a popular choice). Ask what their standard pay scale is or what their photo budget is. Don't sell yourself short. If they didn't want your photo, they wouldn't have asked for it. However, the photo is your property, and you can do whatever you want with it. I've let photos go for as little as $35 for the local newspaper. On the other hand, I recently sold a year's non-exclusive use of a single photo in a tourism magazine that will easily get me to Bonaire for a week. Every situation is different, and there is no pat answer to your question. I think your best approach is to simply ask what they'll pay (don't be shy) and decide if it is adequate for you. If they put the ball back in your court (ie, ask you what you'll take), make them get specific about exactly how the photo will be used. Once they determine that you know enough to ask the right questions, they'll probably make you an offer. -Clay

Well, it's not clear now that I'm going to sell any pictures. The reason they didn't mention rates at all in the initial contact was because they were hoping to get the pictures for free. I'm still waiting to hear back after asking about standard pay scale and pointing out that their website mentions paid photographers.

-Mark

maractwin:
Well, it's not clear now that I'm going to sell any pictures. The reason they didn't mention rates at all in the initial contact was because they were hoping to get the pictures for free. I'm still waiting to hear back after asking about standard pay scale and pointing out that their website mentions paid photographers.

-Mark

Sad to say, that happens quite a bit. -Clay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom