Setting up the Utility Shears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wetsuit 4 life

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just picked up my EMT Utility Shears and I’m trying to figure out how to make a sheath or a mount or some thing to hold them in place, to my shoulder strap on my harness or my calf.

Has any one had this issue before? And how did you overcome this issue?

Cheers

If you have access to a heavy duty sewing machine, pick up some 2" webbing at your local climbing store. Another cheap source is a junkyard, and get a seat belt from a wrecked car.

A little velcro to close the sheath, a zip tie to attach it to a D ring, and your all set.

I took about a foot of lightweight 2" nylon webbing and a delrin clip, and first sewed the clip to the end of the webbing. Then, I folded over the webbing and sewed up the sides to create a pocket for the shears. Finally, I traced the shears, and ran along the tracing with stitching so that the shears are firmly held in place. This way, I don't need a fastener to hold them in but can easily remove them. The nylon is just flexible enough to make it work. I just used my regular ol' sewing machine with polyester thread (I'm using nylon thread for everything now, though).

Not perfect, and it will need to be replaced eventually when the thread wears out, but for 5 minutes and $1.50, it's pretty serviceable. Usually I wear it clipped to my right shoulder D-ring, tucked into the inner tube (I don't carry a second light on my right shoulder).

A picture is worth 1000 words, but the board isn't cooperating right now.
Try this link and this one, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom