Seven Mile Beach - 1st Week Oct!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does the on-site offer shore dives or at least rent gear for shore dives?

No and no.

You can rent tanks from Sundivers at Turtle Reef and shore dive right there; very nice dive.

I do recall hearing something about restrictions on solo diving on GC, so check into that.

No, I'm not brave/crazy enough to dive alone. I take it from your reply they do not have shore diving excursions? I wonder the odds of finding a dive buddy?

No, I'm not brave/crazy enough to dive alone. I take it from your reply they do not have shore diving excursions? I wonder the odds of finding a dive buddy?

Just book a few morning 2-tank group dives with Ambassador at Comfort Suites.

Shore diving and finding buddies on GC is a whole other thing.

I take it from your reply they do not have shore diving excursions? I wonder the odds of finding a dive buddy
It is not clear what kind of diving/dive plan you have for your stay. If it is just two tank am boat diving you can do that with just about any dive op on the island. If you are looking to do two tank am and find buddies for an afternoon dive I would take a look at Divetech to see if they pick up where you are staying. They offer packages that include afternoon shore diving at their facility and as such many of their divers plan on diving from shore in the afternoon. It should be relatively easy finding some divers on the boat dive who plan on a shore dive and asking to join them. They are also a good op to boat dive solo with as they don't force buddy pairs. You have the option of diving/following the DM on the boat dives if you don't want to find a boat buddy. If you are just looking for shore dives it will require more effort to find a buddy.

...If you are looking to do two tank am and find buddies for an afternoon dive I would take a look at Divetech to see if they pick up where you are staying. They offer packages that include afternoon shore diving at their facility and as such many of their divers plan on diving from shore in the afternoon. It should be relatively easy finding some divers on the boat dive who plan on a shore dive and asking to join them...

That's a good suggestion because dive ops that have an onsite house reef (like DiveTech, Reef Divers, and Sunset House) usually offer free shore dives on the days that you are doing boat dives with them. I think that DiveTech will pick up divers staying at most 7MB hotels and condos for their boat dives so they would be a good option - you will have to ask if they will also give you transport to Lighthouse Point for their shore dives. But you should probably look into renting a car on GC anyway, there's a lot to see and do on the island, the cost of airport transfers and taxis adds up quickly, and a car is a great help when you want to shore dive (or meet dive boats at the marina).

Maybe a little clarity on shore diving and where you're staying. Comfort Suites is about 50 yards from Seven Mile Beach. What makes it such a nice beach is the flat white sand that extends at least 1/4 to 1/2 mile out in the water. So no reef and no shore diving. Ambassador has an office at Comfort but keeps their boats in a nearby marina and like most operations provide a free van shuttle. Operations like it usually don't have tanks for rental since they're based around their boat operations at the marina.

The only "shore dive" on SMB is Cemetery Beach and it's a better snorkel frankly. No facilities there either - it really is a Cemetery nearby.

So you're midpoint on SMB. For your wife, the Cayman Bus line goes by regularly - she'll be able to easily get downtown or Caymana or the other shopping areas. You could theoretically take the bus to several shore dive locations, it goes right by Turtle Reef and Cobalt Coast (a couple short blocks in) and I believe Lighthouse Pt. also. Just annoying because it is a bus so stops often. If you do ask the driver to tell you when there - it's a residential area and the stop is a block/two away for both.

The best option for finding a buddy is probably Sunset House, most everyone there is a diver or with one. It's not great as a non-dive resort so they tend to attract divers. Afternoons are best since they boat dive mornings as part of their AI resort package. I'm pretty sure I was asked more than once - you can see divers gearing up from My Bar - there's also a spot to the north by the Salt Water Pool so check there also. I'll bet I saw a dozen divers go off the dock or return during lunch.

I've been to Turtle Reef when it was just us for several hours - SunDivers is in the CC building on the waterfront side downstairs. It's pretty convenient since the dive steps are right there but we didn't see anyone hanging around afterward. At that time Macabuca was not there though.

You could possibly find an insta-buddy off a cruise ship at Eden Rock or Devils Grotto downtown but you might wind up being the dive leader. There's maps/websites about both swim-thru's online - once you get to the sandy area stop as further is under the cruise ships and nothing to see.

On those days you plan to shore dive/tour the island, rent a car instead. Andy's has an office on south SMB which is a little closer than the airport, they'll pick you up with a couple hours notice. If you also plan it thru your last day, you can drop the car at the airport on departure, their other office is there. Can't dive anyway so it's what we did.

I'm not really sure you'd find a buddy at Divetech either - you could but it's at a small condo property sort of by itself. They provide a shuttle for their guests from the Holiday Inn on the Sound so should go pretty near Comfort Suites if asked to stop for you. Boat dive with them first to guarantee it. About a 15min van ride - your wife will be bored there quickly - no beach, no anything except Divetech and the small restaurant at the condos.

As good as everybody says Turtle Reef is - and I agree - Sun Divers is mostly a tank/gear rental window and due to both restaurants being on-property it doesn't really promote finding a buddy there. One afternoon mid-week we were the only two there for several hours. Macabuca being on-site now may help that - I could (and would) see going there for a late lunch and a couple dives b4 SunDivers closes. I think Happy Fish Divers is who SunDivers books guides thru - probably with some advance notice.

hth you sort it out.

Last edited:
If you are really set on doing a shore dive, DiveTech and (I believe) SunDivers offeres guided shore dives, but for that price you can get a two tank boat dive to dive pretty much the same reefs.

I see. I'm probably just going to do boat dives then as it sounds like I'm going to be better off and less chance being disappointed.

If you are really set on doing a shore dive, DiveTech and (I believe) SunDivers offers guided shore dives, but for that price you can get a two tank boat dive to dive pretty much the same reef.

Had dinner tonight at macabuca, and I checked Sundiver's rate board. They list only guided night dives. Three groups of about 6 each went out while we were eating, so it's certainly a popular night dive. I've done it only during the day. I know that DiveTech will do it anytime as long has they have someone free to guide the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom