Shadow Divers: John Chatterton's Interview with ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are points of agreement and disagreement any time two books get written on the same subject and you will find the same thing regarding the two books that address the death of the Rouses'.

I agree that a reel inisde a submarine may be a liability and progressive penetration in small compartments arranged linearly is probably do-able even when you silt the spaces out - but make sure you have the gas to feel your way back out. On the other hand, doing it on a large wreck wth mulitple levels and multiple ways to enter or leave each compartment seems like a good way to kill yourself.

That said, my impression is that the progressive penetration crowd advocate diving the wreck a lot - to the point where after 20 or 50 or 100 dives on it (and without trimix it may take a large numbers of dives to retain enough information to be useful to the point you can recognize where you at and know how to get out even ina silt out. It works but takes a great deal of time and large number of dives to conduct safely.

That approach is however a luxury most divers do not have unless they live there and the use of a reel will enable a diver with limited first hand knowlege of a wreck to safely do a penetration that would take 20 or more dives to do without a reel. I suspect the local regulars versus tourist diver issue is what fuels much of the controversy in the local areas where the local progressive penetration crowd are not real hot on the idea of reels oir divers who use them. What really bothers however is when a progressive penetration oriented diver cuts the line of a diver using a reel. That is reckless endangerment and potentially manslaughter in my opinion.

I am also pretty firmly in the solo diver camp when it comes to wreck diving. I believe in technical divers training for 100% self sufficiency and redundancy. A team approach is great, but it should not substitute for redundancy and self sufficiency as if done right, there are very very few instances where a wreck diver should ever have to rely on a team member or their gas to get them to the surface. If they do, they screwed up somewhere and they are putting put their buddy at risk by using the buddy's reserve. Even the occurrence of multiple failures is not an excuse as it begs the question of proper maintenence.

In a cave environement with extreme distances, siphons, scooters, etc there is much more reason for a dedicated team approach and it would no doubt reduce fatalities there. On the other hand, now and then there seem to be issues with whole dive teams taking a wrong turn with everyone dying when perhaps 1 or 2 could have made it out if they had cut their losses so to speak. In contrast diving solo means never having to make that kind of decision or paying for a buddy's mistake and there is some appeal in that.

All in all, I'd rather be solo than with a buddy I did not know and trust and/or who was of marginal ability for the conditions as they will quite possibly become a liability on the dive.

I read Gentile's book, and it's (to me) a bit of sour grapes, and seems to lean more towards trying to discredit the original account...
Which was his point, as I read them - he (strongly) believed the original account was misleading and inaccurate. Looking at what he has done over the years, it is a little hard for me to describe his book as 'sour grapes', however. I don't know (and don't care) which account, if either, is 'true'. I have always viewed Gary as simple, blunt, and opinionated about things that he knows, and without opinion (or interest) regarding things he doesn't. If Chatterton and Kohler are viewed by some as 'showboats', then Gentile is truly an 'anti-showboat', and that may be part of the basis of the animated response in his book. I think both books are good reads and the enjoyment of reading them doesn't require me to form an opinion regarding which account is most accurate.

One of the lovely things about Shadow Divers is how well it is written. The book grabbed me from the beginning and held me all the way to the end, and I've lent it to non-divers who have had the same reaction.

The Last Dive, although a good story with some very interesting information in it, is not nearly so well written.

Wasn't there a move to be made of Shadow Divers? (Not the older documentary, but a feature film.) I thought it was supposed to have been out in 2007.

One of the lovely things about Shadow Divers is how well it is written. The book grabbed me from the beginning and held me all the way to the end, and I've lent it to non-divers who have had the same reaction.

The Last Dive, although a good story with some very interesting information in it, is not nearly so well written.

Wasn't there a move to be made of Shadow Divers? (Not the older documentary, but a feature film.) I thought it was supposed to have been out in 2007.

The movie has not actually started filming, there was a big change in personnel and no one seems to know what is going on except that JC and Richie still want to be played by Meatloaf and Danny DeVito

One thing that leaped out at me was the reference to the exploits of some "cutting edge warm-water divers" influencing some of U-who team to switch to trimix. I wonder if this reference had anything to do with the WKPP guys, who iirc had been doing some long dives at almost exactly the same 230-250ft cave dives around then. I'm sure there must have been many others using trimix around then as well, but that caught my attention.

I believe they were talking about Billy Deans and his pioneering use of trimix in Key West...

Cheers.

-J.-

re: solo diving, how many times have you been paired with an insta-buddy and felt like you were diving alone anyway? These guys at least have contingency plans of something goes wrong...when you are recreational diving, good luck!

I have recently seen this in action. Two divers on a boat becoming insta-buddies right before the dive on a wreck in about 115' of water. One buddy being a relative newbie (A/O/W), and one being experienced.

Upon exiting the water at the end of the dive the newbie asked if anyone knew how long he had been down. He did not have a computer, and had forgotten his watch. The newbie soon started complaining about tingling in his hands and arms, and seemd a little disoriented.

The newbie diver was diving air, while his insta-buddy was on nitrox. The newbie was scaping bottom a lot on the dive. He also blew his safety stop.

The diagnosis was a minor DCS1 hit, so he went for a ride or two.

Shadow Divers (2009)

Looks like Ridley Scott is no longer set to direct and the release is now listed as 2009.

What really bothers however is when a progressive penetration oriented diver cuts the line of a diver using a reel.
Whoa, this actually happens?!:confused::confused:

I've heard that people don't like the tangle of lines when a spool breaks and people don't "clean up after themselves" but sabotage? We need a book about that for sure!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom