Shadow Divers: John Chatterton's Interview with ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have yet to read Gentile's book. I downed "The Last Dive" in about 2 days. "Shadow Divers" was done in about 3. Next up was "Deep Descent," and that one took a little longer. Maybe 5. I'm currently on "Diver Down."

I loved Shadow Divers. What a great book. I don't really want to pick up Gentile's book because of what so many have said about his sour grapes attitude. I know I will pick it up one day, I just don't know when that will be.

nah, don't let our opinions deter you it's really a good book...just read around the parts (or take them with a grain of salt) where he's on his soapbox....

Agreed. Read the book. Many of Gary's books are excellent in historical detail and wrote several books on technical diving. Because of his historical writings, some of the books are tedious. He specializes in a niche that doesn't get much notoriety. Hence, I think he got pissed at all the spotlight Chatterton and Kohler received.

I've met both Gary, John and Richie. I like hanging around with Richie. Awesome guy. John is too aloof for me. Gary I have to take in small doses. However, that does not take away his expertise in wrecks and wreck diving.

What is missing in the new training is the human price of the close calls that we all had and that we learned from. All you see is the rules and perhaps a short discussion of them. Your classes and lessons were paid for in FEAR. Until you see a diver at 4 to 6 hours after a real close call or when they realize that they are "The Survivor" and their best friend is not; when you see the shock start to hit hard when it sinks in that his buddy and friend is not coming back; when you see them kind of roll up into a ball and you have to hug them to pull them through; only then will you know what it took to get where we are today.

Pete Johnson[/QUOTE]

Holy cow! I got chills just reading your post and thinking back to the whole story. The new divers of today (of which I am one) owe so much to the pioneers like you and these others that gave and did so much for this sport. Like them or not, they and you put your lives on the line and helped provide some of the the knowledge that makes our current day dives that much safer.

It may sound corny but I salute you and the others that dove with you. Thank you.

Well, since some posts were made about other books I liked to suggest Dark Descent about the Empress of Ireland. The writing style isn't as captivating as Shadow Divers, but it is on par with The Last Dive and Deep Descent.

Well, since some posts were made about other books I liked to suggest Dark Descent about the Empress of Ireland. The writing style isn't as captivating as Shadow Divers, but it is on par with The Last Dive and Deep Descent.

Seeing as Keivn McMurray wrote both Deep Decent and Dark Decent I can see why you might think that.

I've met both Gary, John and Richie. I like hanging around with Richie. Awesome guy. John is too aloof for me. Gary I have to take in small doses. However, that does not take away his expertise in wrecks and wreck diving.

A friend of mine sent John an email. I thought his reply was anything but aloof. He responded quickly and was very gracious. He might be different in person.

I have read many of the heated threads on SD, but have not read the books. After reading his reply to a friend of mine I am more inclined to get the books. He sounds like a nice fellow. I am sure he gets tons of email and would have been easy for him to pass on answering the questions in the email.

A friend of mine sent John an email. I thought his reply was anything but aloof. He responded quickly and was very gracious. He might be different in person.

I have read many of the heated threads on SD, but have not read the books. After reading his reply to a friend of mine I am more inclined to get the books. He sounds like a nice fellow. I am sure he gets tons of email and would have been easy for him to pass on answering the questions in the email.

I have spent some time with John, and he's a great guy. :)

I have spent some time with John, and he's a great guy. :)

That is good do hear. I really did that impression of him by reading the email exchanges between John and my friend. People are often different in emails, the boards and in real life. Anyway, he took time to answer a few questions and got back with the answers right away. I doubt one would fine many folks with his level of
notoriety that are so easy to both get in touch with as well as get a relevant response from in a timely manner.

Howard, how did it come to pass that you spent some time with him?

We are both friends of Matt Johnston (AKA Matt the Aquaman). We were in Key Largo a few weeks ago all of us. I have never read the book, but after meeting John, I'm more interested in it. He really is a great guy.

We are both friends of Matt Johnston (AKA Matt the Aquaman). We were in Key Largo a few weeks ago all of us. I have never read the book, but after meeting John, I'm more interested in it. He really is a great guy.

Very cool! I think the Matt Johnson story is one of the greatest scuba stories of all time. It has been wonderful to watch so many different people from all walks of life come together to help Matt's dreams come true. It would make a great movie. Wonder if Catherine knows someone that could help bring this to pass? I heard her mention once that she knows some of the Lost Producers. Surely there is someone on SB that knows someone that screen is a good screne play writer.

So many people focus on their limitations and just accept them. Matt seems to have a spirit of adventure and desire to overcome that suspect that even a normal body would try to hold such a man back.

A few years when they were filming the movie Radio in this area, I got a chance to meet Radio when he was at the new TL Hanna High. I have to tell you that I felt very small in the presence of such a great man. His spirit and his attitude was infectious and overwhelming. He is a man filled with great hope and a positive outlook on life even though life hasn’t dealt him the best hand. It is amazing to see someone be dealt a hand that most would say is a loosing hand against all odds and turn it into a hand that can’t be beat no matter the rules of the game. Those like yourself who come along side of such people to support them are great examples to all of us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom