Shadow Divers: John Chatterton's Interview with ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not to hijack this topic, but Jill Heinerth and her husband Robert shot a bunch of video, and I believe they compiled a movie. I'll get more details, and/or post links in the Matt forum. [/hijack]

:D

not to hijack this topic, but Jill Heinerth and her husband Robert shot a bunch of video, and I believe they compiled a movie. I'll get more details, and/or post links in the Matt forum. [/hijack]

:D

That would be great to get a chance to see some of the footage.

So how John and Matt become friends? Did Matt read Shadow Divers and contact John or did John read about Matt and contact John?

I agree with Howard... John's a great guy and ANYTHING but aloof!

But then Ritchie's a great guy and so is Gary. I consider them all friends!

Not to get toooooo off topic, but Matt knows how to network! He has made so many POWERFUL friends that I am often jealous of his connections! These are the movers and shakers of the Scuba Industry like Susan Long, Brian Carney and the list could go on forever.

My wife, son, and I were also in Tavernier with Matt, Gary, Jim, Susan, John, and the rest of the gang this last November. My son has been emailing with John for over a year and John has taken a genuine interest in him - emailing and calling many times. I consider him to be a great example for my son, and for me there's really no higher praise. His wife Carla is genuine and funny. He and his wife are down to earth and a blast to be around. Matt is just plain inspiring (he has since emailed a photo to my son and we have spoke on the phone and email about an upcoming dive in Minnesota) and Gary and his wife are cool! - my son now wants to grow his hair out to be like the "treasure finder". Matt's father is just a great guy, as well as his family (not to leave out Jim elliott, Susan Long, etc. etc. etc... Great people and I'm honored to have been included in the group. We went down really not knowing what to expect when we all met face to face. I can tell you, from my perspective, these people are the real deal. I can't wait for another opportunity to get to know them more.
Jim
PIC_0003-low.jpg

Obviously, and to my learning, this is a well-known subject here on S.S. This newbie had no idea. To each there own, all I can discuss is personal experience. Shadow Divers, the book, peaked my interest and I am thankful I read it. I guess if someone wants to take up a discussion with Mr. Chatterton, his email is readily available on his web site... my experience with him is that he returns emails quite often... not my place to judge either way... best of luck...

As the thread evolved the spratman said he thought after having met them that John was aloof, so then we began talking John and first and second hand experiences people have had with him. I don't think it is a total high jack of the thread. A guy brings up the book, people talk about what they thought of the book and in the course of our conversation we start talking about what kind of man John is.

My friend forwarded me both sides of the email discussion with John and I found him to be engaging and gracious. He could have not replied at all, given a short answer, a rude answer, but instead he wrote back write away and engaged my friend in a conversation.

From the tiny bit I know of some of his dive adventures, I am not sure that I would ever follow in his steps and employ many of his practices or encourage others to follow suit, but if he ever came to my area, I would love the chance to meet him and get to know him.

Heck, if he ever comes to these parts I think the Dixie DIR Divas would have a big B-Q in his honor. As one might guess the Divas have been known to upset DIR and DORK alike. :) I think we are more Diva than we will ever be DIR. The point is that people can have a wide range of diving practices and life experiences and still be gracious to one another and speak in a pleasant manner to one another about diving or any other subject.

Tonka, I almost feel that you sense you have a personal stake in this matter. As if you have been personally wronged. Has John wronged you?

Anyway, whether his book is true or not or some combination there of I do not know. But it does appear that he is a gracious person.

So let me just say to one and all, may you have MERRY CHRISTMAS, A HAPPY NEW YEAR AND MANY ENCOUNTERS WITH GRACIOUS PEOPLE WHETHER THEY DIVE OR NOT AND WHETHER THEY CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS OR NOT!

Twas the night before the dive, when all through the boat
not a creature was stirring not even a sea louse.
The tanks were all hung in the racks with care
In hopes that Posiden would soon be there.

The divers were nestled all snug in their beds
While visions of deep air and tri-mix danced in their heads
And dive master in his suit and I in my cap
Had just settled in for a long nights nap

When out on the sea arrose such a splatter!
I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter
Away to the port hole I flew in a flash!
Tore open the hatch and pushed away the sash!

The moon on the crest of new crashing wave
Gave the brightness of a Salvo 50 Watt can light
when what to my eyes should appear???
but a mini RB with 8 tiny tanks!

With a little old diver with was lively and quick
He said baby this thing breathes slick!
I wanted to try some said I would die!
With that thing in the water he could fly!

The circuit was it open or closed?
With it did breathe through the mouth or the nose?

Obviously, and to my learning, this is a well-known subject here on S.S. This newbie had no idea. To each there own, all I can discuss is personal experience. Shadow Divers, the book, peaked my interest and I am thankful I read it. I guess if someone wants to take up a discussion with Mr. Chatterton, his email is readily available on his web site... my experience with him is that he returns emails quite often... not my place to judge either way... best of luck...

I wouldn't sweat it. In a community as large as ScubaBoard, you can bring up absolutely any diving related topic and you'll find folks ready to argue with you for days. You just learn to do your research, come to believe what you believe and ignore those who want to argue with you about it.

Safe diving to you and welcome to a GREAT sport!

... and I love your avatar! She a friend of yours? :eyebrow:

Thanks Hoosier!
Nah, I'm not too worried about it. Everybody has the right to their own opinions, I have mine and I know I'm right... :) If you ever want to splash up here in the mountains, zap me an email!

I've been obsessed with diving now for a while. More I learn, the more I want to go dive again.

jim

Last edited by a moderator:
NetDoc:
It was GREAT to see John in a:sblogo: shirt when we were down there with Matt in Key Largo. He was truly greatful that we all chipped in to help make Matt's diving dream a reality

Doc...Another point about divers related to Matt. I put out signs last year to raise money for Matt's first dive. Many divers contributed to this fund ever reminding me of how caring the scuba diving community is...

Secondly...About John wearing the Scubaboard tee shirt....I dived with him last month and he had a :sblogo: hat pin on his...well...his hat:)
So he is obviously very supportive of the board...

John will never respond to the attacks...I have never heard him say a thing about Gentile's charges and I doubt he ever will...We who have met him knows he is a very gracious and caring person who gives of his time to many people...Not only to Matt...Also to his friend Mike Norwood and the memorial fund Mike's wife Diana set up for him...and coutless other things he gives his time to. He doesn't need to respond.

Back
Top Bottom