Shadow Divers -- The Movie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

like i said, the other article i read made me think they had been recovered from most of the ships...the article i linked to makes me think otherwise..

Maya:
I wonder what stage the movie is at? If it is to be released next summer, they should already be filming - especially with a film that will possibly require tech divers to be involved in the filming? Thinking of the work we did on "The Cave" - to be released in August.
I'd think that it will involve a lot of CGI. Also most of the real footage will probably be done in a large tank on a set like they did in the Abyss.

This wreck is too far out, weather is to unpredictable, conditions at depth are too unpredictable, and bottom time is too limited due to the depth, to film most of it on the actual wreck, when you consider the hours of shooting that it will require.

Here is an article on that US sub off Thailand. I looks as if people are worried about the bodies and artifacts in that sub. Nobody seemed to care when I brought it up. Check it out:

http://www.cdnn.info/news/industry/i050710.html

every year, the German embassy in the US protests that diving in U-Boats sunk
off the US coast is a desecration of war graves.

nobody pays much attention, and guys dive them all the time

so now we're saying that it's ok for us to dive the German war graves, but it's
not ok for the Thai to dive our war graves?

seems a bit contradictory to me

H2Andy:
well... Ridley Scott is an awesome director

i can't actually think of anyone else i'd like to see do this project. i look forward to
it... few people could make this work, but Scott is one of them

other than James Cameron, he may be the only director in Hollywood right now
who could do the story justice

I don't know Scott is hit or miss, depending on the script, his movies are definitely action driven, remember those awful Gina Davis movies he made when married to her.

Buoyant1:
btw...I saw it in paperback for the first time...so all you broke people who spend all your money on dive gear can affod it! hahaha!

yeah I saw it at the Austin airport the other day.

divebuddysean:
Do you think they would dive this boat and risk their lives so many times just for self-satisfaction? They were driven to find out the name of that boat, and why? They wanted to be the "ones" who discovered the boat. I thought it was very evident these were fame and fortune seekers.

Maybe a little bit of fame, actually I'd consider it more like bragging rights, but not fortune, John didn't want to be the one to find it and have someone ride in on his coat tails and identify it, probably the same way I'd feel in a similar situation. At least that's how I read it. Ritchie felt some underlying connection becasue of his heritage. But if the book hadn't come out, which they didn't write, what fame? Only a handful of divers and historians would have given a rat's @$$.

Lil38:
I was told by some non-divers NOT to see "Open Water." Does anyone here know why?
Cuz it sucked :D

Personally I enjoyed "The Last Dive" much more than "Shadow Divers"

H2Andy:
every year, the German embassy in the US protests that diving in U-Boats sunk off the US coast is a desecration of war graves.
nobody pays much attention, and guys dive them all the time
so now we're saying that it's ok for us to dive the German war graves, but it's
not ok for the Thai to dive our war graves?
seems a bit contradictory to me

This surprises you??

Try checking out some of the middle eastern papers see how their version of the news varies from ours. Check out how CNN varies from Fox.

I spent most of my youth in a very international boarding school, my roommate was Japanese. Most of my family was in the military and I had a pretty good understanding of the events of WWII. But my roommate showed me his old history textbook "Circa 1970" and it essentially said that the Japanese government tried to acquire additional resources, mainly food and oil and then we nuked them. I remember clearly the chapter on WWII was about 10 pages long and 8 out of the 10 pages were about the nukes. And 1 whole page was about the internment camps in the us.

Funny but they forgot to mention the battan death march, pearl harbor, Korean comfort women etc...

All I'm saying is folks generally speak, think and write from a particular point of view based on their constituency and / or audience.

The German politician gets brownie points for demanding we respect their war graves, our politicians get brownie points for saying we don't have to.

me:
I don't know Scott is hit or miss, depending on the script, his movies are definitely action driven, remember those awful Gina Davis movies he made when married to her.
Oh wait, that wasn't Scott was it, it was Reny Harlin or something like that, I just saw he's doing "Gladiator 2" TBR 12/31/2006 and Alien 5, no mention of Shadow Divers though. Cameron would have done a solid job.

Sean326:
This surprises you??

nope, just seems a bit contradictory :wink:

Riddley Scott is slated to do “Shadow Diver”. Directors like Riddley often have several films moving forward simultaneously. If “Into the Blue” and “The Cave” do well there should be a lot more diving films made.

Back
Top Bottom