Shadow Divers -- The Movie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just read this book, and I thought it was great.

I read The Last dive a couple of years ago, but I felt this one was the better of the two.

As far as fame and/or fortune, I think it is pretty clear that they wanted the fame, but not the fortune. There are numerous times when it was mentioned that they would hate for some new guy to come back to the boat with a name plate stuck to his fin or mask. These guys WANTED to be the ones to discover the true identity, and they should have been, imho.

I have never met the writer or the divers, but I would go out of my way to do so in the future. It is an incredible story, and a great read...

Scott

I agree, I just finnished reading the book (this morning at 4:00am I couldn't put it down!!) I think it was amazing. Well written and researched. It was written so that you don't need to be a diver to enjoy the story. I agree that they were seeking fame and not fortune, if they had been seeking fortune Chatterton would have brought up the skull and sold it to the fella that wanted one! Fame, absolutely! Who doesn't want his 15 minutes of fame? Also the way Kohler took it upon himself at his own expense to travel Germany and the US finding relatives of the survivors and letting them know the true fate of their loved ones, shows that they cared aboput the fallen sailors as well. I can't wait for the movie to come out, I just hope they keep most of the back story intact and stay true to facts and not some Hollywood ideal of what they (the directors and producers) feel the public would like to see!

Just my two cents worth!!

Mark

ScottZeagle:
I just read this book, and I thought it was great.

Scott

I loved the book. I have been wanting to SCUBA for years but have never invested the time / money to research and actually do it. After reading Shadow Divers i decided to commit. I will be certified next week and am going to Cancun/Coz in Sept.

Also Shadow Divers is in audiobook format with Audible.com for you guys that would like to hear it read. I purchased it as well and loved the reading.

I am reading The Last Dive now and it is also a great book. Next on my list will be Fatal Descent.

Thanks,
Shawn

divebuddysean:
If you take out the stupid diving maneuvers (a few people die on air over 200 feet), it's really just about finding out which sub it is...Sorta boring... I felt they were desecrating the remains of those German submariners. But they were seeking FAME, and look now, they have a movie!! I guess everything is working out well!!!

Sean

Did you read the book? They bent over backwards to avoid desecrating the remains. The whole mystery could have been wrapped up much easier but for their efforts to avoid even stirring the remains.

And I'm sure fame was their main motivation, because all the other previous exploration by them and other wreck divers had led to so much fame and riches.

Why are you so bitter about this?

Dive-aholic:
:06: I didn't realize Chatterton was considered a beginning-intermediate tech diver when he found the uboat :06:

Seriously, I think maybe he's confusing where dive technology was at the time they were doing this with today. A lot has developed and the were among a few at the forefront.

I think there confusion here between Shadow Divers and The Life Aquatic.

Was the book called Shadow Divers or The Last Dive? I just listened to The Last Dive on Audio book while on my way to Niagara to drift dive.... I didn't want to take any rest stops so that we could keep listening.... 5 hours and 6 Cd's to get through it........ But interesting enough to keep my revited. Sad story though....

"Shadow Divers" is the book we're talking about, but "The Last Dive" is very good
too, and touches on some of the very same things.

divebuddysean:
Here is an article on that US sub off Thailand. I looks as if people are worried about the bodies and artifacts in that sub. Nobody seemed to care when I brought it up. Check it out:

http://www.cdnn.info/news/industry/i050710.html

This is a quote from that article: "Given the callous disrepect by Thailand's dive industry for the dead and their bereaved relatives immediately after the boxer day tsunami, US officials may have to anchor a US Navy ship over the wreck to protect the war grave from Thailand's dive shop owners. "

Is that really true? I went back to Thailand in February 2005 and opted out of diving in Phuket even though I had planned to do so since September 2004 simply because of the Tsunami in December 2004. I really don't get where they came up with the "ignore the dead and go diving" quote? Is that a paraphrase of some sort or is it a direct quote - somehow I believe it's a media selling spin on words that were never spoken. I can speak as a Thai person myself that we are a culture that respects the dead very highly and I seriously doubt that native Thais would be considered "callous" or disrespectful!

:280: :280:

Back
Top Bottom