Shallow Rebreather Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dennis

I've just finished the CCR course and bought an Inspiration by Ambient Pressure Diving. One thing noone here mentioned so far is the buoyancy issue. Yes everything here I've read is correct but having just completed the course and still getting really comfortable with the unit (like I am with any of my open circuit gear), remember the more shallow you are the greater the pressure difference for a small change in depth. When you start to dive a rebreather it's like going back to basics again with your weighting and buoyancy. Be prepared to feel all fooled up for a while. After 12 hours I can say I'm starting to FEEL comfortable with the unit.

This tme of year most of my dives are shallow, short, shore dives. Dang it's cold, winter is here! Granted our coldest water temp is in April but the air warm between dives is nice. The other factor here is that most people's boats ar out of the water so wreck and most deep stuff is just not in easy reach.

This comming summer should be more fun

Sue Copp
Dive Store Manager
Ocean Quest Adventure Resort
NL, Canada

I have done a fair amount of shallow rebreather diving. My wife and I use them mostly to stay down longer, not necessarily to go deeper. We dive in the 0-150 FSW range and have spent quite a bit of time in the shallows checking out the critters. At first the bouncy is a challenge in shallow water but once you get everything diled in it's no biggy. a 5 hour dive in the shallows is totally doable on most ccr units. Some folks have the misconception that shallow rebreather diving is more dangerous...this is not true. this misconception comes from the fact that when going from deep to shallow there is the danger of "shallow water black out" as in free diving, if the diver or set point controller fails to keep the po2 within range but once in the shallows, there is no appreciable difference to maintaining set point.

the other reason we went for CCR's is that we dive in the north west of the US where the water is cold year round. we are much warmer on the loop due to the scrubber heating up the exhaled air as it "scrubbs". There are many reasons for diving a rebreather shallow or deep:

-warmer
-significantly less dehydrating
-vast gas supply
-dramatically increased NDL and sped up off gassing if doing deco
-quiet

oh yeah, thanks for reminding me almity1... rebreathers make photography fun all over again! ...critters just go about their business as if you're one of them.

I have done a fair amount of shallow rebreather diving. My wife and I use them mostly to stay down longer, not necessarily to go deeper. We dive in the 0-130 FSW range and have spent quite a bit of time in the shallows checking out the critters. At first the bouncy is a challenge in shallow water but once you get everything diled in it's no biggy. a 5 hour dive in the shallows is totally doable on most ccr units. Some folks have the misconception that shallow rebreather diving is more dangerous...this is not true. this misconception comes from the fact that when going from deep to shallow there is the danger of "shallow water black out" as in free diving, if the diver or set point controller fails to keep the po2 within range but once in the shallows, there is no appreciable difference to maintaining set point.

the other reason we went for CCR's is that we dive in the north west of the US where the water is cold year round. we are much warmer on the loop due to the scrubber heating up the exhaled air as it "scrubbs". There are many reasons for diving a rebreather shallow or deep:

-warmer
-significantly less dehydrating
-vast gas supply
-dramatically increased NDL and sped up off gassing if doing deco
-quiet

And taking great photos of species that usually do not come close and treat you as part of the environment.

It is funny watching the cleaner fishes actually cleaning your armpits.

And here I am.....

Thinking I am the only one :D :lotsalove::wink:

And taking great photos of species that usually do not come close and treat you as part of the environment.

It is funny watching the cleaner fishes actually cleaning your armpits.

I'm sure your wife appreciates that too! :D

Would work for a LAR V ... then again, you could just stand up to bailout. :rofl3:

So Stefan, do you have a pager that goes off every time a post is made on a rebreather forum? You are always right there with a timely and useful nugget of information:D

Is there a profile option for that? That wold be rather convenient ... :D

Funny CD, very funny. :rofl3:

Is there a profile option for that? That wold be rather convenient ... :D

Funny CD, very funny. :rofl3:

Indirectly, you could have an e-mail sent with each post and then set up your e-mail client to page or text you.

Back
Top Bottom