Shallow Water Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been VERY impressed by what I have seen from the KISS units. There is certainly one in my future. (Darn that Meg is tempting though)

Vie:

Thank you Vie, I have been search it for a long time!
At the beginning I was going to say, it looks similar, except I am not sure about the tiny metallic cylinders at the front, it has been couple of years back. Then I am sure that the ones I saw was in color, pink, yellow... you know typical Japanese scuba equipment. But then I saw this:

http://www.rebreathers.de/de/modelle/o2/ouba/ouba.php

ouba, eoba... I am sure it's just difference in translation.

Charlie99:
Max ppO2 1.8ata?

What is the acceptable duration of a dive to 8 meters on a pure O2 rebreather?

Well let's say your working with a pp02 of 1.4ata this being the recomended max for the working portion of your dive. According to the DSAT O2 exposure table you shouldn't exceed 150 minutes using 100% oxygen during a 24 hour period. Up that to 1.6, the maximum recomended for decompression portion of dive (due to lower workloads) and they recomend no more than 45 minutes over a period of 24 hours. This is mostly for tech diving, seeing as how your not going to be doing deco dives with an o2 rebreather you shouldn't really exceed 1.4ata. This type of rebreather is also very limited in purpose. Mostly used by military who really only need to stay below water deep enough to not be seen. IMHO i wouldn't spend this much money on a pure 02 rebreather. The freedom to dive much deeper with a CCR or SCR is worth the few extra dollars. You only live once right?

Vie:

That is one cool looking little unit. I want one for my car's glove box in case I get submerged. On second thought, maybe not. It would probably be tempted to submerge my car just to have an excuse to use it.

Seriously though, not much practical value, but that thing has Hollywood written all over it. It is not much bigger than the fake unit Bond used when thrown into the pool full of sharks in Thunderball(?).

videodan:
What would be a good, inexpensive, shallow water rebreather for occasional use diving with whales and dolphins? Also easy to use and travel with, in addition to lots of camera gear. Thanks for any help.

I don't think any RB is good for "occasional use" as the training, practice, skills and proficiency required to be safe require more than occasional diving.

Yes, better training always helps, but the mini rebreather like, eoba, doesn't require a lot of training. Again, the first time I see it was a documentary on TV, kids were using it...
so, I guess it's serve it's recreational purpose -- watching fish in shallow water, yet allow you to go a bit deeper than snokeling, without a tank on the back and most of all, like all other rebreathers -- no bubble.

Pipedope's right.
No matter how small, it's life support equipment that will still have to keep you alive!

Besides, no telling if it would work for you, another japanese rebreather, the Fieno SCR, had counterlungs so small that most caucasians would have a hard time venting their lungs properly. You'd be exhaling part of your breath through the OPV and inhaling it from the tank like a huge, really bad regulator.

VideoDan, first to re-iterate, the words "rebreather" and "inexpensive" should not even be in the same paragraph (except to say...:wink: ) Secondly, "occasional use" is not good for a rebreather or the operator of the rebreather. That being said, stay away from the Dolphin. I've had nothing but disappointment and frustration cubed from my unit. Even in the correct configuration it still bubbles too much. "Ruduced bubbles" equals half the bubbles of open circuit which still does not accomplish the mission. I would have gotten a whole lot more use and been much happier going straight to CCR and skipping SCR altogether. For the same money I spent on a second hand Dolphin SCR with all the "upgrades", I could have gotten a brand new Sport KISS CCR and been diving it. Instead, I've had problems getting parts from Germany and one break down after another with the Dolphin. It would probably be worth your while to sign up at rebreatherworld.com and check out the site. They have most makes and models of rebreathers and a lot of folks that know their stuff on each rebreather so you can ask questions and get good answers or info. Or you can check out the Sport KISS directly at jetsam.ca/ and see if it would fit your needs, but whatever you do, stay away from the Dolphin... Semper Fi, Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom