Shallow Water Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

videodan

New
Reaction score
What would be a good, inexpensive, shallow water rebreather for occasional use diving with whales and dolphins? Also easy to use and travel with, in addition to lots of camera gear. Thanks for any help.

videodan:
What would be a good, inexpensive, shallow water rebreather for occasional use diving with whales and dolphins? Also easy to use and travel with, in addition to lots of camera gear. Thanks for any help.
inexpensive and rebreathers aren't compatible..

I never liked the dolphin and properly configured its as expensive as cheaper CCR units..

For ease of travel and maintenence, I would recommend the Sport Kiss, It can be had complete for about $4800 plus training..

I'm an instructor for both the Drager Dolphin and OMG Azimuth SCRs and currently dive the Sport Kiss. I would second padiscubapro's Sport Kiss recommendation.

Shallow water? How shallow? If you're going to stay above eight meters, go O2. Safest, smallest and simple...

For shallow water you have to keep in mind the PPO2 affects with depth etc. Example: using a rebreather in a pool with air is a really bad idea. You have to use a really rich 02 mix.

padiscubapro:
inexpensive and rebreathers aren't compatible..

I never liked the dolphin and properly configured its as expensive as cheaper CCR units..

For ease of travel and maintenence, I would recommend the Sport Kiss, It can be had complete for about $4800 plus training..
This is true if you are comparing new prices. I have dove and traveled with dolphin and sport kiss and the kiss does pack up nicely, is very easy to set up and requires little fiddling between dives.
The dolphin can be purchased 2nd hand on ebay for less than $2000, with o2 monitoring (essential equipment) . Add small bailout system (might be included for that price) and you have a properly configured dolphin. For depths above 20ft I would suggest using a hot mix such as 80% with a 60% orifice. Your instructor should explain this concept.
If you have the money to spend the sport kiss is a better unit mainly because it is fully closed and will give you more flexibility but since you expressed a desire for less expensive I would go for a good used dolphin, have it properly serviced and spend the remaining $2000 that you saved on a nice dive trip.
have fun...

Sorry to bring this back, I've seen the O2 picture before... but I think there is another one shown in a documetary. It's only for recreational purpose only and it's good for 20 min or so. It looks like a over simplified close circuit, air gets in from one side and exhale to another side within a tube, then enter a can of scrubber and recycled, no extra tank for gas. The documentary is about a site in Japan for people to rent their recreational rebreathers and use it on site. I have never seen it since then, if anybody knows about it, I'd also like to hear.

alo100:
...I think there is another one shown in a documetary. It's only for recreational purpose only and it's good for 20 min or so... I have never seen it since then, if anybody knows about it, I'd also like to hear.

EOBA rebreather? See info below:

http://www.therebreathersite.nl/Zuurstofrebreathers/Japan/eoba.htm

Pictures:

http://www.therebreathersite.nl/Zuurstofrebreathers/Japan/photos_eoba.htm

Or buy it on eBay here:

http://wantitnow.ebay.com/EOBA-Japanese-oxygen-rebreather-by-Nippon-Sanso_W0QQadidZ7240493445

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom