Shark attack on human **Warning!! Graphic Video**

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The video is called "Anatomy of a shark Bite" and is available in many stores. A few attack survivors are interviewed including a lady who was attacked by a great white on video. Ritter, the guy who got bitten, is explaining to Nigel that even after chumming the water the sharks don't view him as a prey item and that there is no reason to be concerned. His idea is that if he is calm and does not move quickly, then he will be left alone. The bull shark seemed to be happy to disprove Ritter's theory.

ScubaBOBuba:
Does anyone know if this clip was shot at Walkers Cay in the Bahamas?

---Bob

Isurus: The reason I asked is that one of the guys helping the hapless victim looked like Gary Atkinson who used to run the dive shop on Walkers and was the originator of the Shark Rodeo dive that I have enjoyed several times over the years. To the best of my knowlege the shop and the resort on Walkers are now closed and Gary had returned to the states a few years ago. This footage was NOT shot at the shark rodeo site which is offshore. Last year at Oceanfest in Fort Lauderdale I ran into Barry who was Gary's divemaster. He still works in the islands and occasionally runs trips up to the old rodeo site. I digress. This footage must be several years old. Anyone know when the accident occured?

---Bob

Thank you for sharing....

TwoBitTxn:
To me, that bite looks investigatory. Is this edible? I don't think it proves or disproves anything.

I agree that the bite is investigatory; But Ritter, at one point in the full video, reassures Nigel by claiming that this is perfectly safe and these sharks will not harm them in any way, for any reason, as long as they remain calm. At the end of the video he admits that his belief was somewhat flawed.

isurus:
The guys name is Eric Ritter. He had a (now discredited) theory about how because he did yoga and had a relaxed heart rate etc etc the sharks wouldn't associate him with food and hence attack. Here's abot of extra comedy flesh on the bone (if you'll pardon the pun) from uk magazine diver:
http://www.divernet.com/beachcomber/bcomber0902.htm

To be fair a lot of people took the risk at bull shark beach without getting bitten although I don't believe you can still dive there.
http://www.thelivingsea.com/Adventures/paradise6.php

This is correct! I believe that Eric Ritter's Shark Research Institute was stationed out at Walkers Cay in the Abacos, Bahama. The incident occurred a few years ago during the filming of a special segment for Discovery Channel's Shark Week. The shark involved was a good sized Bull shark. The shark was trying to drag him out toward deeper water. Ritter's calf muscle was eventually torn off, which is credited for tipping the balance in his favor. He was very lucky.

The water was just a tad "nippy", eh wot? When you feed wildlife, you had best not run out of food. They aren't nearly as patient as a two year old when it comes to eating. WHen they banned feeding sharks here in Florida there were reports of dive ops putting fish in a steel mesh bag to get the sharks to come in: but they were frustrated when they tried to eat it. Now that doesn't make sense: getting a shark all excited about eating and then deny him!

ScubaBOBuba:
Isurus: The reason I asked is that one of the guys helping the hapless victim looked like Gary Atkinson who used to run the dive shop on Walkers and was the originator of the Shark Rodeo dive that I have enjoyed several times over the years. To the best of my knowlege the shop and the resort on Walkers are now closed and Gary had returned to the states a few years ago. This footage was NOT shot at the shark rodeo site which is offshore. Last year at Oceanfest in Fort Lauderdale I ran into Barry who was Gary's divemaster. He still works in the islands and occasionally runs trips up to the old rodeo site. I digress. This footage must be several years old. Anyone know when the accident occured?

---Bob

It was at least two years ago. I understand this site was originalloy a beach where fish were cleaned and the bulls were found to be aggregating there so it became a second more extreme site in addition to the offshore chumsicle style dive.

I also heard that these bull sharks have been fished out now but cannot confirm the veracity or otherwise that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom