Shark Attack on Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The attack was on a diver diving on the Sheerwater Liveaboard which is from Jim Abernathy Scuba in Palm Beach. Pretty crazy... I know they specialize w/ tiger shark diving. It would be interesting to learn more details. Hope he is alright

Shark bites diver east of Fort Lauderdale beach -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

The article says they were 50 miles east of Fort Lauderdale which puts them somewhere in the vicinity of Great Issac Lighthouse in the Bahamas.

50 miles off Ft Lauderdale is a HELL of a lot closer to the Bahamas (just offshore Bimini, Grand Bahama for example)

What possible purpose was saying "off FTL" other than sloppy reporting, stupidity about geography, need to sensationalize........

I read the article expecting it happend off the beach in FTL, or the 3rd reef line, and turns out happened in a different country!

I'm sorry for the diver and hope the best for a quick recovery, but the news media (surprise) got it wrong - very poor job of reporting

Will definitely be following this as more details become available, such as confirmation of the type of shark (like Onespeed, I have heard the rumor that it was a bull), whether there was anything going on that might have contributed to the bite (feeding, spearfishing, etc.). Hard to have much of an opinion based on the very limited information available at the moment...
Best wishes to the diver and his family for a speedy recovery.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom