Shark Attack on Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with cageless diving around any type of sharks. There is risk with any type of shark diving and it is up to the individual to choose the level risk they are willing to accept.

My condolences to the Groh family.

+1 - What ever happened to the idea of personal responsibility?

What is even more interesting is that the Bahamas Diving Association, in this article , criticizes cageless diving with Tigers, Hammerheads and Makos but advocate cageless diving with Caribbean reef sharks. While some species tend to be more aggressive than others it does not mean that the Carribbean reef sharks are NOT dangerous. I really don't see how you can draw a line between those species. They are all unpredictable and there is risk with any type of cageless shark diving especially while feeding.

Does it surprise anyone that Stuart Cove (who offers cageless diving with Caribbean reef sharks) is the vice president of the Bahamas Diving Association ? If find this kind of funny because I remember when I dove with Stuart Cove one of the employess commented that sometimes they get lucky and a hammerhead shows up to the feeding which contradicts Stuarts stance with the Bahamas Diving Association.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with cageless diving around any type of sharks. There is risk with any type of shark diving and it is up to the individual to choose the level risk they are willing to accept.

My condolences to the Groh family.
I didn't realize that Neal Watson, President of the Bahamas Diving Association, also runs cageless shark dives where the Caribbean reef sharks sharks are fed. There is nothing to prevent hammerheads or tigers from showing up to his feedings. I think he would be better off promoting all shark diving instead of taking the low road and being so critical of his competitor. I hope that Abernathy stays in business. I'd prefer his shark dive over the others any day.

I didn't realize that Neal Watson, President of the Bahamas Diving Association, also runs cageless shark dives where the Caribbean reef sharks sharks are fed. There is nothing to prevent hammerheads or tigers from showing up to his feedings. I think he would be better off promoting all shark diving instead of taking the low road and being so critical of his competitor. I hope that Abernathy stays in business. I'd prefer his shark dive over the others any day.

Anyone else think that perhaps the BDA has an issue with Abernathy's because they are not a member?

Anyone else think that perhaps the BDA has an issue with Abernathy's because they are not a member?

Yea, as well as a foreign boat operating in 'their waters'....

Sounds like lieing in wait to point a finger... :lotsalove:

edit: Oh look... BDA website on shark dives..., not a single mention of a cage?!?!?!?!
Bahamas Diver On Line, The Essential Bahamas Dive Experience

I heard an interview on the radio the other day with the professor at some university in Florida who maintains the world database of shark attacks. According to his comments, this attack does not qualify for the "unprovocked" category, because the sharks were being baited. Furthermore, he went on to say that last year, there was only one "unprovocked" shark attack worldwide in the entire year.

I was surprised when I heard that statistic, so I just thought I'd share that info.

Personally, I've done the Stuart's Cove Shark Dive, but that only consisted of Carib. Reef Sharks and seemed to be a pretty controlled envirement, because the person with the food would never take out enough food to allow a true fededing frenzy to ensue. However, I'd probably give it a second thought before I jumped in the water with a bunch of chummed Tigers and Bulls, but I'd probably end up doing it, because of the whole shark fascination.

IMHO, as was previously mentioned, to each his own, and if someone chooses to assume the risk and play in the pool with the big boys - More power to him!!

Personally, I've done the Stuart's Cove Shark Dive, but that only consisted of Carib. Reef Sharks and seemed to be a pretty controlled envirement, because the person with the food would never take out enough food to allow a true fededing frenzy to ensue. However, I'd probably give it a second thought before I jumped in the water with a bunch of chummed Tigers and Bulls, but I'd probably end up doing it, because of the whole shark fascination.

How does Stuart Cove keep hammerheads, tigers, and bulls from joining in?? And what's their course of action if that happens??

How does Stuart Cove keep hammerheads, tigers, and bulls from joining in?? And what's their course of action if that happens??

No clue, the subject was never addressed when I dove there, but I suspect they would probably treat it as business as usual. The person who actually does the feeding was wearing a FULL BODY STEEL-BRAIDED MESH SUIT W/ A HOCKEY HELMET, so I suspect he's not too worried, but I do recall saying to myself at the time, "where's my steel-braided suit?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom