Shark Attack on Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

50 miles off Ft Lauderdale is a HELL of a lot closer to the Bahamas (just offshore Bimini, Grand Bahama for example)

What possible purpose was saying "off FTL" other than sloppy reporting, stupidity about geography, need to sensationalize........

My guess...because if it was "off the Bahamas" it would mean the USCG would not respond to it? :coffee:

This was a planned shark trip which is a very popular trip for Abernathy's. I find it strange that they keep saying east of Ft. Lauderdale. As Deepstops said earlier this would put them at about Great Isaacs which is an old light house.

This is strange as Great Isaacs is about 42 miles south of West End on Grand Bahama island. The usual itinerary for Abernathy's is to go into West End to clear customs, and then run north. Almost all of their dives are done north of Memory Rock which would put them east of Stuart not Ft. Lauderdale.

The Palm Beach Post also reported that a diver died off Fort Lauderdale. You had to look closely to find out it was 50 miles off Fort Lauderdale, on the other side of the Gulfstream, in the Bahamas. Jim A. was always an advocate of not banning shark feeding in Florida. They definitely marketed shark dives on Sheerwater. I wonder if the facts of the accident will emerge.

What possible purpose was saying "off FTL" other than... need to sensationalize........

I read the article expecting it happend off the beach in FTL, or the 3rd reef line, and turns out happened in a different country!

Someone stopped me today and said, they were glad to see me ok because they heard about this story and know I dive LBTS.

If it said the Bahamas it wouldn't create as much business for the Herald/Sentinel.

My guess...because if it was "off the Bahamas" it would mean the USCG would not respond to it?

Debbie you can't cross the stream w/o the coast guard knowing it :D They are always there even when we can't see them. And they will bail you out when in trouble too.

Wys

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom