Shark bites liveaboard guest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read through all the articles on Wetpixel and I can only find one; Nullzeit.at and I'm not sure if that would be definitive since it's Austrian site and nobody in Florida is currently reporting a pulmonary edema. I don't think it's established as fact until a coroner says so.

JP

I just read through all the articles on Wetpixel and I can only find one; Nullzeit.at and I'm not sure if that would be definitive since it's Austrian site and nobody in Florida is currently reporting a pulmonary edema. I don't think it's established as fact until a coroner says so.

JP

What I thought was a corroborating article was just a mention of that piece in another post. Thanks for pointing this out.

A bite on the calf could still kill. The femoral artery goes all the way down to the feet. Does anyone have a link to a news article saying it was the ascent?

JP
A bite on the calf can certainly kill (it's amazing Erich Ritter is still around after having his entire calf removed).

However, for the record, the femoral turns into the popliteal artery just above the knee, which then bifurcates into two tibeal arteries, which then further branch... (But, then, who really cares...)

A bite on the calf can certainly kill (it's amazing Erich Ritter is still around after having his entire calf removed).

However, for the record, the femoral turns into the popliteal artery just above the knee, which then bifurcates into two tibeal arteries, which then further branch... (But, then, who really cares...)
Yeah, I guess arteries are still pretty substantial even in the calf...
ArteryLimb.jpg
Feet need blood flow, of course.

No confirmation on the facts, tho? A Google search of "Markus Groh" leg gives 107 entries, but substitute calf - no hits.

I hope whoever claimed there were previous but non-fatal accidents has a good source.

Practice of oper-water shark dives criticized after death -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

In a telephone interview, Abernethy said he had never had an accident in 25 years of operations and felt terrible.

He hung up before he could be asked what had happened.

The Palm Beach Post just ran a piece:

Shark kills scuba diver in baited water
Shark kills scuba diver inbaited water

Mind you, the article provides no evidence that this particular dive was a baited one. It is just assumed. I mean, we are just people posting on a forum, so we can get away with saying "probably was". However, a news outlet should be more careful. Upon further inspection, Reuters and AP released news tonight and the Palm Beach Post as well as other news sources are just repeating those stories.

Here is the interesting quote though:
The Miami-Dade medical examiner's office termed Groh's death accidental, but details were not available

I should mention, there is video in the Sun Sentinel story I linked from the evac helicopter.

With regards to habituation. There are very few studies on the topic.

I was able to find a series of experiments conducted by DR Nelson and RH Johnson in the late 60's. These involved using recordings of the sounds of fish in distress. Sharks (silkys, white-tips) were drawn to the sounds during initial trials. The sharks then demonstrated habituation to the stimuli in later trials.

AA Myrberg demonstrated sharks could be habituated to override negative stimuli. His group used killer whale screams (negative stimulus) coupled with chum (positive stimulus). On initial trials, sharks (silkys) were repelled from the chum region by the auditory stimulus, but the sharks quickly habituated.

Here is Myrberg's review dating from 2002.
As far as I can tell, the research dries up quite a bit after the 70's. If anyone knows of any additional work I would love to see it.

Lord knows what happened down there, but one thing is clear: we know very little about the behaviors of the top-level predators we are swimming with.

The mod cleaned up the thread while I was typing this, so I retracted my message, Safe diving everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom