Sharks, how do they view a solo diver vs a pair of divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope it is obvious that most of the responses are humorous, reflecting the general diver beleif that sharks are rarely a threat to divers, whether alone or with a buddy.

If you want to see the degree to which this is true, use Google or Bing or any form of search you want and look for any information you can find on shark encounters with divers (not snorkelers, surfers, or swimmers) while they are at depth (not on the surface looking like something else). Filter out any in which the shark is actually going after a spear fisherman's catch. See how many you find in the entire history of scuba.

See how many you find in the entire history of scuba.

They are quite rare, but sometimes (to quote Chris Rock) the tiger goes tiger. http://sharkattackfile.net/spreadsheets/pdf_directory/1972.10.14.b-Temple.pdf

If anyone is really concerned about this, bear in mind that we're all already dead; it's simply a question of how long before the Fates snip our specific thread. If you are eaten by a shark under the water while SCUBA diving...it was just your time to go.

SCUBA sharks.jpg

The only time I have encountered a (bull) shark that was acting aggressive, swimming fast, pectorals down, trying to get behind me I was with a buddy. We were submerged, well, it was at the Destin finger jetty.

I think the only time that a solo diver would perhaps be at any more risk would be during a surface swim transiting to and from a dive site.

Not hardly an expert on shark behavior, but it does seem, just as any predator, they pick out their victim and once initiating an attack will seemingly ignore others in the water while pressing their attack. Which is how other people are often able to fend the attack from the victim without themselves being hurt. So, if this is the case, maybe in that odd and rare instance, a buddy would be useful.

I think the barge is called the Lucy, about four miles east of the Destin/East Pass in about 60 feet of water and about .75 miles from shore. In any case, way back, I launched myself solo from the park just ashore from the Lucy and swam out there. I was in the water about three plus hours. After doing the dive, I surfaced and began the long swim back to shore. Suddenly something was hitting me, here, there, everywhere. I looked to see thousands of baitfish apparently being schooled by kingfish. Me, being the only structure, they were holding on me in their attempts to avoid the kingfish sweeping through them. The dense schooling went on and off for a good portion of the swim. This was most disconcerting at the time. I am not sure, had I had anyone else stupid enough to swim a mile offshore and enjoy the adventure with me, that it would have been any less so.

I had a similar event a few years back at the Commercial Pier dive in LBTS out to the deep reef. It was small to medium size tarpon this time. I went through a greenish area on my swim back in and the fish were schooling all about me, hitting me. I think the greenish water might have been a result of low tide and some freshwater maybe. Not sure.

N

many sharks will act quite different when presented with one versus 2 divers. the bigger difference is when there are multiple sharks versus one shark. Also, the danger is very dependent on location and conditions. very few people get gored by buffalo, but seems like a lot are getting it in the news lately yellowstone, is it? If you dive any place where people are fishing or if they are baiting sharks - then those attacks will be considered provoked attacks. I almost got nailed and i think it was because people had been fishing nearby.

very few people get gored by buffalo, but seems like a lot are getting it in the news lately yellowstone, is it?

Everyone of those gored, deserved it. They all got way too close for a picture - the last one was an trying to get a selfie. They got a new a-hole ripped in their backside.

I got family shots with bison. I hope you feel the same way when the next rec Diver gets bi5en on a shark dive outing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom