Sharks!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mahjong:

You don't know what you're missing. It's a great trip. I even took my wife, our 16 year old daughter, and our 13 year old son on the last trip. Here's our son with one of the "regulars".

crw_4508a.jpg

Are you sure you don't want David and I to hold you a spot?

Doug

Ah Doug, I've seen that photo before. I didn't realise it was you feeding your children to the sharks!
The week before I was on the boat, a National Geographic cameraman had got out of the water, scared to go back in. Pity he didn't have the nerve of your 13 year old son.

David

Doug,

Is that a fishing line running from the shark's mouth?

Breaks my heart.

David:

Our son just didn't want to be outdone by his sister. Here's a picture of his then 15 year old sister hanging from Shearwater by her ankles with a bait crate for the sharks. It was a gimmick to celebrate her 200th dive a couple of summers ago. A friend of mine, professional photographer and Wetpixel owner Eric Cheng, came up with the idea.

img_0472a.jpg

Mahjong:
Yes, sadly that is a fishing line in the tiger shark's mouth.

Doug

Ya Doug, as if the photos that are going to be poppin up on WP in the next couple of days aren't enough you have to be posting a whole bunch over here too...

And you too David!!!

For shame... i feel left out.... :wink:

Mike:

I was over at Jim Abernethy's place yesterday diving on his day boat Deep Obsession. Jim's on Shearwater with Laz Ruda, Eric Cheng, and the Wetpixel crew. He was checking in from Walker's Cay after some bull shark action. Sounds like they've had a great trip. I'm sure the photos will be popping up here and over on Wetpixel soon. I think they get back to port Monday.

Doug

David A:
These were all shot with a Nikon D70, Ikelite housing (don't believe you have to spend more, Ike build the best), twin DS125 Ikelite strobes, and a Nikkor 12-24 lens behind the standard dome. The 8" dome would have performed better, but was unavailable at the time. I'll get it as soon as it is available in the UK.

David

Awesome shots!! I LOVE the hammerhead shot, you rarely see such detail, and images shot in such shallow water.

Well, you have just about sold me on the Ikelite housing for the D200.

So were these done using iTTL, or are you manually setting the strobes. I've YET to find anyone who is using the Ikelite iTTL control, so would love to hear some feedback if you use it.

RonFrank:
Awesome shots!! I LOVE the hammerhead shot, you rarely see such detail, and images shot in such shallow water.

Well, you have just about sold me on the Ikelite housing for the D200.

So were these done using iTTL, or are you manually setting the strobes. I've YET to find anyone who is using the Ikelite iTTL control, so would love to hear some feedback if you use it.

I was indeed using the Ikelite iTTL controls, with twin DS125s. The nice thing is that it's so easy to dial the exposure compensation up and down on the housing itself. I believe it's even better on the D200 housing.
In this setting, you had to dial it down a few notches to avoid blowing out the white bellies on the sharks, but I think it worked OK.

David

debersole:
David:

Our son just didn't want to be outdone by his sister. Here's a picture of his then 15 year old sister hanging from Shearwater by her ankles with a bait crate for the sharks. It was a gimmick to celebrate her 200th dive a couple of summers ago. A friend of mine, professional photographer and Wetpixel owner Eric Cheng, came up with the idea.

img_0472a.jpg

Mahjong:
Yes, sadly that is a fishing line in the tiger shark's mouth.

Doug

Doug,

I love your kids. Perhaps sharks have got a hope with people like that growing up around them.

David

David A:
I was indeed using the Ikelite iTTL controls, with twin DS125s. The nice thing is that it's so easy to dial the exposure compensation up and down on the housing itself. I believe it's even better on the D200 housing.
In this setting, you had to dial it down a few notches to avoid blowing out the white bellies on the sharks, but I think it worked OK.

David

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear.. I use TTL, and flash exposure compensation all the time.... topside. I THOUGHT it would work well UW.

So is there any way to adjust the flash to do say a 1:2 ratio, or are both flashes just going to provide even exposure?

Sorry for all the questions, but honestly, I've been asking these questions of Ikelite uses for months, but none use/have iTTL :D

Hey... what happened to the SHARK images??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom