Sharm el Sheikh for beginners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Courtney

New
Reaction score
Hello -
I will be traveling to Sharm in November. I'm recently open-water certified with all of my dives completed in Cozumel, Mexico. I would like to dive Sharm, but how are the diving conditions for someone of my skill level? Are there any dive operators you would recommend? I was initially looking at Divers Network simply because they operate out of the hotel I am staying at, but they have yet to respond to my email.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

The diving in Sharm is very easy. You should do well. Because the saline content of the water is much higher, you will need some extra lead. I was on a liveaboard, so I can't recommend a local dive shop.

Have a great time. Hope to hear about your trip

SWT

I have just come back from 4 weeks in Sharm doing my DM with Emperor. As an Open Water Diver you will be limited to the "local" dive sites which are still very impressive. If you wish to get out further afield I believe that a lot of the operators require you to hold an Advanced cert or to have at least 30 or so logged dives (Emperor do).

The local sites are great (although there are some that are showing damage) but I would definately recommend getting out to Shark & Yolanda reef. This is one of the Advanced sites but definately worth the effort, the amount of fish on it at the moment is unbelievable (really!!!!) and there is a good chance of seeing Blacktip's and Hammerheads, plus there is a huge Manta ray floating around there at the moment.

Enjoy your trip, it definately IS the place to be at the moment!!

Ed

I did my OWD in Sharm so don't you worry!!!!
As for the diving centers here you can find some names:
http://www.scubaboard.com/t52306.html
If you want to know something about the dives in Sharm you can read a report from my latest trip - it was May this year:
http://www.scubaboard.com/t55246.html
If you search other threads in Africa section you will find a lot of info about Sharm and dive sites. As OWD you will not be able to do Thistlegorm - you have to be AOWD. Dive sites vary - some are really easy ones - mostly local (and probably more boring ones) and some are difficult - with currents but lovely.
You will be ok!!!!
If you have any other questions - ask - there is a group of us that loves this area and goes there quite often.
As a matter of fact I'm going to Sharm on Friday.
Mania

Thanks for the info! I'll be contacting Emperor.

Do you happen to have a website or email for Blue Sea Diving Centre? I did a google search on them and couldn't find any contact info.

I know they are redesigning the web site so it's not on right now. You can contact them via e-mail:
azmeralda@access.com.eg
Mania

Hi, Courtney.
We recently got back from our second trip to Sharm (we did our OW there with Red Sea Diving College--superb instruction)...it's an amazing place, and you shouldn't have a problem with the skill levels. We are very inexperienced but managed to do 18 dives in 6 days with Camel Dive Club. They are a superb outfit, and we will definitely go back to them on our next trip out there. We went there with 13 dives (including AOW qual) and managed to get further afield than the local sites, but I second what Ed says about the local sites. Ras Mohammed is amazing, and I never tire of going to Shark & Yolanda! I'm very envious, by the way, that I missed the Manta and sharks...hope you get to see some. Happy diving! :) www.cameldive.com
By the way, we're considering going to Cozumel...can you recommend a good dive centre there?

Thanks for the Sharm info! I'm looking forward to the trip. To be honest, I never would have thought of Sharm, but I'm working over in Scotland for the next 8 months and the airfares are unbelieveable from the UK (compared to the US)! Once in a lifetime opportunity....

As far as Cozumel, I like Alison at http://www.scubawithalison.com/. She certified me and is such a wonderful person with a top notch operation.

Christi from Blue XT Sea also gets rave reviews on the scuba boards.
http://bluextseadiving.com/

Both are smaller operations that really cater to the individual diver vs. running a cattle boat.

You'll love Cozumel, but be prepared...you will become a Coz addict :)

Wish the Red Sea were as "accessible" to us divers from the States as it is for our dive friends overseas (won't indulge in any political comments here). I've been wanting to go there for years bit still feel a bit iffy about it.

Know from my European and Asian dive friends that it is a fantastic experience.

Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom