Shearwater coming out with new DC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is 30/70 actually conservative? Or is it just slow at getting you out of the water? I don't think these are the same thing.

DGX indicates the Perdix will be shipping in at most a week.

Looking forward to this package.

All that said, I'm sold on the Shearwater for a Tec DC, but if they are reading this, the RC needs to come designed to support at least Tec50 as an upgrade (even if you have to pay for it as an add on), but where the option can only turned on or upgraded to using a software upgrade after proof of training/certification.

Would be a simple thing for a diver to go to a shop/school to train and then login to the Shearwater site, select their DC, and have a Tech Instructor enter their info, and then the student check a disclaimer that the Tec40/45/50 (whichever) feature is only unlocked for training purposes and only for a period of say 30 days; then the training is completed satisfactorily, the instructor logs in again to verify completion of the course, then a full upgrade can be done.

Always got to think of those fearless fools who would unlock their computer to take their buddies on a deep bounce dive. But for me, having a Rec computer to go with a Tec computer allows me to use it a simple backup to the limits of most agencies training. If you need a backup beyond 50m, then you purchase another Tech DC.

Great, another nanny state / big brother type that thinks he has the answer for what the rest of us should be *allowed* to do.

:no::shakehead::angrymob::bash::banned::banghead::censored::chairfight::comeandgetsome::crash::facepalm::fail:

---------- Post added December 29th, 2015 at 08:15 PM ----------

So you set to GF35/70, like a normal.

Then you go on a deep sidemount cave dive where nobody has been in 30 years. The line breaks, on return you get tangled badly at depth, then have to search for the other end of the line, you eat into your reserve. You get back to your deco bottle and it's free flowing. You can't double stop times on your back gas reserve as you've eaten into it. You can't complete on the deco gas cos it's p1ssing gas out.

So, the GF99 value, you watch that, when it goes just below a hundred (99% or 98%) you ascend to next stop depth. Then at 3m you stay there til it gets as low as possible. Because running out of gas is worse than getting bent.

Using GF99 it isn't hard to dive 100/100. If you think Buhlmann is what stops you getting bent, you're not going to worry about GFs.

Or you might think you're being safe and try and dive 50/50 and not want to use GF99 if something goes wrong and hurt yourself by trying to stick to 50/50 for your first stops, then a mad burst to surface to avoid drowning.

Start cocking with computers, without understanding the theory and you're really looking bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This isn't a DC issue. You could have DC's running up and down both arms and it would not change the fact that you had multiple things go pear shaped that required you use the computer between your ears to solve.

This is just stupid.

Is 30/70 actually conservative? Or is it just slow at getting you out of the water? I don't think these are the same thing.

Doesn't really matter, except for communication. Most describe the spectrum of decompression algorithms from conservative to liberal (some use aggressive). You could just as easily use slow to fast to get you out of the water, as long as others know what you meant.

The DSAT NDL at 80 feet with EAN32 is 49 minutes. Using MultiDeco for the same dive, 45/95 gives 0:30 at 20 feet and 1:00 at 10 feet, whereas, 30/70 gives 0:55 at 30 feet, 2:00 at 20 feet, and 12:00 at 10 feet. No stop (a SS) vs. nearly 15 minutes of deco, liberal and conservative or fast and slow?

Last edited:
Doesn't really matter, except for communication. Most describe the spectrum of decompression algorithms from conservative to liberal (some use aggressive). You could just as easily use slow to fast to get you out of the water, as long as others know what you meant.

The DSAT NDL at 80 feet with EAN32 is 49 minutes. Using MultiDeco for the same dive, 45/95 gives 0:30 at 20 feet and 1:00 at 10 feet, whereas, 30/70 gives 0:55 at 30 feet, 2:00 at 20 feet, and 12:00 at 10 feet. No stop (a SS) vs. nearly 15 minutes of deco, liberal and conservative or fast and slow?

That's not true. KenGordon is correct. There is a difference between being conservative, and just being slow. People forget it's not just the time, it's the profile. The deep stops debate is proof enough of this.

:shakehead:

Guy, you are absolutely pole-vaulting over a mouse turd.

Here is the issue - everyone of us is immeasurably different from each other: body fat, hydration, activity level, alcohol, air temp, water temp, yo mama and yo papa (genetics), fitness levels, etc.

If your incidence of DCI - of *any* flavor - is dependent on whether you did a :30 at 30' and a 1:00 at 20' and a 2:00 at 10' versus a 3 minute at 15', there is a WHOLE LOT MORE going on!

You are measuring with a micrometer and cutting with a dull ax. Take notes after every dive, about how you feel, be aware, and listen to your body.

Don't argue over 1/64th from center when you are being hit with a 2" diameter sledgehammer.

Say you do a dive at 30/70. Say 50m for 30m using 70% as a deco gas. You feel bad afterwards. What do you change to? 10/70? 70/70? How do you decide?

Say you do a dive at 30/70. Say 50m for 30m using 70% as a deco gas. You feel bad afterwards. What do you change to?

10 pin bowling?

Well crap! I just opened my Christmas gift and it was a brand new Petrel 2, now I come here and read this. Not that I'm disappointed, I always have that kind of luck with technology.

I have you beat.. my Petrel 2 has shipped and will arrive Jan 6th... lol

Back
Top Bottom