Shearwater coming out with new DC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All he has to do is read the manual, and implement it on his 40m dives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All he has to do is read the manual, and implement it on his 40m dives.

Read the manual and understand what it says. Now we are no longer talking about a clueless recreational diver that bought a Petrel and unknowingly chose settings that could harm him.

BTW. Intestering dive. Thanks for sharing.

---------- Post added December 29th, 2015 at 10:26 AM ----------

As to an entry level dive computer from Shearwater? I hope not. There is already enough of those out there. Let the Shearwater brand continue to represent a class of DC that is beyond the norm.

Reading the manual is NOT a lesson in decompression theory.

---------- Post added December 29th, 2015 at 05:42 PM ----------

And no worries, as a result of it:
Say I need 6L of deco gas, I used to take 9L (so 10L) bottle.
Now I take two 7Ls for independent deco cylinders also

In what sort of circumstance would you want to tweak the GF but exclude diving with helium?

What GF do you want to dive, and why? Or are you just being noncommittal?

Thanks so much for your concern KenGordon,

My last 1000+ dives have been executed using the DSAT decompression algorithm, arguably, the 2nd most liberal, commonly used algorithm, after the Cochran decompression algorithm. The vast majority of my dives are no-stop, with only about 7% being light deco of less than 15 minutes, average 5 minutes. Nearly all my dives are within recreational depth limits, with only 1% deeper than 130 feet. I often dive hard, 4 dives per day, multiple days. I currently dive an Oceanic VT3 primary and a Geo2/SPG as backup. I do enjoy having my SRMV for all my dives and have it for the last 600 or so, extremely useful in gas planning.

I would appreciate being able to use the well characterized Buhlmann ZHL-16C algorithm with gradient factors to construct a slightly more conservative no-stop plan and to have better control of my occasional deco dives. DSAT was really not designed for deco use. I already use MultiDeco to plan and analyze dives, it would be great if it more exactly mimicked my dive computer rather than just approximate it. So, the majority of my dives really just need a reasonable GF hi. Though I would have to experiment a bit, I would probably end up at 90 or 95 and remain more conservative than my current DSAT algorithm. I would probably end up with a GF lo of 40-45 for my occasional deco dives. I'm glad 30/70 works for you, I would imagine you do very different diving than I do. That's often the problem with tech divers advising rec divers. I'm happy with my diving and don't foresee any reasonable chance of additional training in the tech arena.

So, why my wish dive computer? It's all I need and all I want. I'll gladly take the tech accoutrements in exchange for the AI, thus my desire for an AI Perdix, probably a lot more likely than exactly what I want. Maybe I'll go for an AI H3, if that ever comes to fruition.

Good diving, Craig

Reading the manual is NOT a lesson in decompression theory.

---------- Post added December 29th, 2015 at 05:42 PM ----------

And no worries, as a result of it:
Say I need 6L of deco gas, I used to take 9L (so 10L) bottle.
Now I take two 7Ls for independent deco cylinders also

Reading Deco for Divers is not a lesson in decompression theory although it is a step in the right direction. Any diver can take any DC and use it to intentionally dive beyond their training. This is nothing unique to the Petrel.

Scubadada....I presume your second paragraph was aimed towards myself.

I don't always dive 30/70. Sometimes I dive 20/60, sometimes 35/85, sometimes 60/90. Depends what I'm doing, and more specifically, where!

For shorter dives, such as your own, a higher GF may be useful (to be honest, repeated NDL dives from a boat, somewhere warm is where I'd use 60/90).

Can't you just change the conservatism on the computer to give what you desire?

Though I do see your point about wanting your wrist computer to match your planning, but why not just use gauge mode and write it on a slate? I did this for a long time and worked off average depths and a working knowledge of ratio deco. Perfect for the kind of diving you're describing.

---------- Post added December 29th, 2015 at 05:58 PM ----------

Reading Deco for Divers is not a lesson in decompression theory although it is a step in the right direction. Any diver can take any DC and use it to intentionally dive beyond their training. This is nothing unique to the Petrel.

Yeah, I agree.

I'm "self taught" in basically every aspect of my diving. From CCR, through deco, blending gas, underwater explosives right to ones I can't mention on the forum.

But that's through reading masses of available literature, bothering divers doing those kinds of dives and progressing slowly.

I learn well this way, others don't.

I wasn't trying to suggest that people should be trained to do any sort of diving (apart from cave diving, in accordance with scubaboards policy, which you should definitely be trained for). Just that people should know what they're messing around with :D

Read the manual and understand what it says. Now we are no longer talking about a clueless recreational diver that bought a Petrel and unknowingly chose settings that could harm him.

Could be a clueless "tec" diver too :)

On this very forum the latest instalment of the "WTF should we set the low GF to?" threads is up to post 214. The previous instalments, on several different forums, have run past 1000 posts.

I am probably going to buy one of these new perdix computers but it will be despite various things I dislike, the positioning of items in the menus, the comparative lack of display customisation and the rather flaky dive upload.

I don't want to be negative about them, but they are not the perfect dive computer that you would think reading SB. They are quite good but there is room for improvement.

I agree with you on the comparative lack of customisation, can't say I find the dive uploads flakey on the petrel 2?

There seems to be enough info in Deco for Divers to literally build your own dive computer. What more would you recommend before one had reached the point of having had a "lesson"? I'm always game for more information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom