Shearwater coming out with new DC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Took a quick look and it did look well-written and pleasing to the eye. Even written with some personality, not that souless, humorless dry technical writing. I do wonder how many divers fresh out of OW would know what 'open circuit' and 'closed circuit' were, and I wonder why they called the creational mode 'Nitrox' and how many new OW divers know yet what nitrox is, but all that said, it does look like a nice manual.

For Shearwater to market a rec.-centric DC (which would be a Petrel, Perdix, etc...in a special mode of course, as they've made a foray into actually) wouldn't necessarily have to be low-end. Rec. computers also come in high-end and mid.-range options.

The main question is, what would you want to see in a Shearwater rec.-centric DC that would make it a better choice than competitor options out there?

When people tell me about Shearwater DC's on the threads, what I see amounts to a really good interface (how's it compare to Lynx? Cobalt? Mares Icon?), durability, Bluetooth connection with regular computers (e.g.: download dive log), user-changeable non-proprietary batteries yet good battery life, strong customer service from Shearwater and, if I recall from a figure I believe Boulder John mentioned in another thread, it's ready for that less than 2% of rec. divers who go into technical diving. Those are pretty sweet perks.

I haven't seen people clamoring for a $300 'cheap parts' Petrel. I do see people who'd like to see an option for A.I. Wonder what else people want for rec. diving (besides what a nitrox recreational mode Petrel already does)?

Richard.

The Petrel 1 was my first DC, and I bought it shortly after OW certification when I had literally 8 dives in my log book, based on recommendations here on Scubaboard. It was absolutely awesome for a new open water diver in Rec mode. It was, and still is, by far the best Rec computer, IMO. It is so easy to use as a newbie OW diver that I literally did not need to read the manual. There was no danger, at all, of me going into and messing with Tec mode, as I literally had zero idea what all that Tec stuff meant, or how to set it, or how to even read the information displayed. Since then I've progressed through to GUE Tec 1, using it extensively in both gauge mode and Tec mode. It is still the best.

I also bought a Hollis DG03 as a newbie, as a back up. Despite 3 sessions of 20-30 minutes each with the manual, I still can't run the thing, and just leave it in gauge mode.

My point is that Shearwater already has the best Rec computer on the market, and there is not a business case to be made to sell a cheaper dumbed-down version. Why sell an inferior product at a lower price point when you are already winning the game across all segments of the market place?

My point is that Shearwater already has the best Rec computer on the market, and there is not a business case to be made to sell a cheaper dumbed-down version. Why sell an inferior product at a lower price point when you are already winning the game across all segments of the market place?
No they don't. There aren't that many divers willing to pay $750.00 for a computer.
To buy a tec computer for rec dive and then set it to gauge mode for tec dive! What for? Any rec computer with gauge mode can also do it at fraction of the cost.

Why would a scale down version be a inferior product?

Why would a scale down version be a inferior product?
It would be inferior product to the standards Shearwater holds and strives for. If you want a cheaper DC, why not just buy a cheaper DC? Why does it have to be a Shearwater?

Less durable? May be but it does the job.
Most of the 2nd stages are made of plastic and no one complain!

Actually there's a large contingent of divers who complain about this. Hence the Poseidon Cyklon Metal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's that? Is it scubapro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJ:
It would be inferior product to the standards Shearwater holds and strives for. If you want a cheaper DC, why not just buy a cheaper DC? Why does it have to be a Shearwater?
What make you think that Shearwater is not capable to produce a cheaper DC?
And what make you believe that it would be inferior to the standards that Shearwater has set ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom