Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Love it! My galileo hasn't killed me yet. I also think the pricing is right in line, and the photo of the display looks like all the info is perfectly laid out and crystal clear.

Man, I see a christmas present to myself coming!

YOu can't do this, the "experts" said that it won't happen!!

I think hoseless AI has become reasonably mature as a dive computer technology.

The SB "experts" said it ain't so, so it ain't so no matter what happens!!

Are all the vehement, anti-AI members on suicide watch? :wink:

I am glad I've waited this long to buy a LED DC. Almost pulled the trigger for an OSTC sport but alas I did not because it did not have the AI function. Maybe OSTC will be the next to follow?

Now I know which DC to get for my next big purchase.

But as I've said it before, AI is just for reference. It is still better to have a SPG as a backup. I would not go diving with a SPG as much as I love my AI.

I wonder if the Perdix AI will have the same issue with with my OCi. I've stated before that the tank pressure is always 5-10 bar less on my DC compared to my SPG during my dives. I am not sure if this is a conservative factor from the AI's perspective or just trying to spare the divers w/o SPG as backup from the "oh sh*t" moment underwater.

Last edited:
Are the "experts" who insisted that SW would never come out with an AI computer going to admit that they are wrong in public? I recall one of them even saying that they would disrespect SW if it did and would not be buying their products if they start selling AI DC's.

I see them talking with the other side of their mouth and becoming much less opposed to AI and even using it.

Are all the vehement, anti-AI members on suicide watch? :wink:

I am glad I've waited this long to buy a LED DC. Almost pulled the trigger for an OSTC sport but alas I did not because it did not have the AI function. Maybe OSTC will be the next to follow?

Now I know which DC to get for my next big purchase.

But as I've said it before, AI is just for reference. It is still better to have a SPG as a backup. I would not go diving with a SPG as much as I love my AI.

I wonder if the Perdix AI will have the same issue with with my OCi. I've stated before that the tank pressure is always 5-10 bar less on my DC compared to my SPG during my dives. I am not sure if this is a conservative factor from the AI's perspective or just trying to spare the divers w/o SPG as backup from the "oh sh*t" moment underwater.
Maybe your SPG is wrong.

@Diving Dubai is quite an advocate of Suunto, appears he cannot endorse their GTR algorithm. Of course, extraordinary circumstances might interfere with this calculation in any application. If something changes significantly, of course you make corrections, duh. I hope the Perdix AI uses the Oceanic iteration of GTR

You misunderstand me. Maybe I wasn't making myself clear (typing at 04:00 am rather than sleeping.

I have no issue with the Suunto GTR (ATR in Suunto world). My point being, is that GTR is based on the current SAC rate. Effectively its a flow meter right?

So the computer tells you that you have say 21minutes of GTR at your current SAC and Depth. Suddenly you hit a problem and your SAC rises by a factor of 3? (here I'm using my own rate of 10l/m to 30l/m at elevated SAC. You'll find you GTR dropping to 7 mins. If someone is continuing their dive based solely on the rGTR then they may get into difficulties.

Now for me, like most here, I look at my tank pressure and know where I need to be on a dive from that, can I stay at depth longer, do I need to be shallower etc etc in the context of diving within the time window assigned to the dive.

If I'm planning on deco, then like others that will be planned in advance and I'll know that I have adequate gas time for the deco required.

So in that respect I find GTR (on any computer) superfluous and my opinion is that it can lead the less experienced into a false sense of security - perhaps encouraging them to cut into the reserves they might normally keep if relying on pressure only.

I'm still not sure I've explained it that well, more coffee maybe required :)

@scubadada

For the record, I'm not knockign the Perdix AI in anyway, I think it's going to be a fine computer, I'm trying to pass on my experience of diving multiple transmitters, and the limitations of the devices at the moment (like they don't show multiple gas pressure on the dive screen - maybe somewhere else for sure)

Would I buy one, No. Not because I'm a Suunto convert - which I'm not, just for my type of diving and current needs, the Perdix doesn't give ME any real benefits over my existing computer.

What I will be interest to see, is the response by the other manufacturers. They have no doubt sat on their laurels believing that SW wouldn't go AI, so they have that advantage. Now SW have entered the AI market, this will change the dynamics?

It may well be that nothing happens. In the US the Eon isn't successful and OSTC don't play, but in other area's SW isn't a strong competitor and may well not threaten the other brands. On the other hand it may well do and they will have to up their game somewhat.

What ever, I applaud SW for doing this, it must have been a brave step - considering generally their core supporters have been Anti AI. But the excitement about this product is infectious and there will be a lot of happy faces on Christmas day (even if they have to wait a few months to get wet again)

At the point that you're doing serious cave deco diving, with scooters like are shown in your picture, is that really much more than a somewhat small drop in the bucket?
Read somewhere the transmitters don't work reliably while scootering. Good reason not to spend money on AI for those divers. It also shows that AI is not as reliable as a SPG in all circumstances. If you like and trust AI fine, but beware of the limitations of AI before getting rid of your old SPG.

So in that respect I find GTR (on any computer) superfluous and my opinion is that it can lead the less experienced into a false sense of security - perhaps encouraging them to cut into the reserves they might normally keep if relying on pressure only.
To be honest, when I was a novice diver it scared the hell out of me. It showed me more than once that I was running out of air in the next few minutes when there was nothing to worry about. In the end I switched GTR off on my Suunto because it did not make any sense to me. To me it's the most useless invention regarding DC's ever.

Back
Top Bottom