Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been a long-long time fan of the Liquivision X1's (have 2) but the Perdix has finally won me over...

I've never been anti-Shearwater... I just didn't like the size of the Predator when I was last deciding on tech computer purchases. When the Petral was released, I probably would have bought one if I hadn't taken a break from diving. I'm not an 'old school' tech diver who may shun something like AI (though, I'd obviously never plan a technical dive based upon estimations generated by GTR, etc), but I did decide to buy the AI version, rather than get a non-AI used at the substantial discount many are now finding.. (Thou I may get a non-AI for backup) My primarily reason for spending more $$ is in regard to Side-Mount diving, and open-water rec diving where I might want to review my SAC rate on particular dives.

Side-Mount: Yes, I know it's easy enough (generally) to take a peek at your SPG's, but if you are in the cave (or wreck), working through restrictions and really tight spots (no mount, breathe-out & wriggle type situations), zero viz, etc.. Being able to monitor your gas (also) on your computer can only be considered a plus, IMO.. Required or truly beneficial = no... But, definitely not detrimental! When I've had AI computers in the past, I've never had one fail, and rarely has it been my experience to lose connections, so reliability really isn't a concern. And of course, if all you were relying on were the transmitters, you could always turn a dive; however, I'm not forgoing the SPG's on my rig, so that is a non-issue for me.

Maybe Shearwater will eventually come out with firmware version designed for SM diving..
What would be special about it? On the list for OW Side-mount diving: Have the Perdix consider the two separate tank pressures as one. By adding them both together, couldn't those who like GTR have the estimates that they want? It also doesn't seem too complicated to me (though, I'm not a programmer / dev) that the Perdix could identify which transmitter was sending data that tank #1's pressure was reducing, while #2 was not. I'm not sure the real benefit but it could highlight which tank is in use.
And for those who's situational awareness might leave a little to be desired.. Why not give them the option to set an 'alarm' / reminder to switch regs/tanks at a user selected PSI interval.. Wouldn't want them to be the butt of trim jokes during the next surface interval! :p

Personally, I never rely on GTR... But, I've read a lot of chatter about those who do and it is a bit fun to speculate on possibilities..

Bottom line.. Looking forward to diving the Perdix...

It's a joke by all manufacturers. I was needing to re-install windows, the code was even too small for my 15 year old to make out. In the end we went the tried and tested way of taking a picture on the phone and zooming in. Who decides the Point size of a font anyway?

Young people with 20/20 vision.

Really impressed by Shearwater. The decision to base the AI functionality on the PPS platform and support the widely used Oceanic/Hollis/Aqualung transmitters is brilliant! The Perdix has consistently been rated as top non-AI computer and top tech computer. Now it will be a contender for top AI computer too... Once DC to rule them all!

Dave from Shearwater: Do you know when the electronic manual will be available?

+1
I am waiting for the manual also.
It's odd that they have not released the manual as there are warnings in the transmitter and computer packaging to read the manual - but one was not shipped with the unit and there is not one available for download still.

It would seem good practice to have the manual ready when the product ships - otherwise, it feels like a rush to get the product to retail? The setup and operation do appear pretty straightforward, but it would be nice to know the official instructions and limitations before using it.

Last edited:
ye what is the issue with GTR? would love to know too

Following in the case, there is a brief explanation of GTR that it shown time of a direct accent which i interpreted as safety stop is not counted

Can't you just calculate in your head your safety stop gas consumption? Then just add to the GTR.

Personally, I never depend on GTR as others have said before. I know I will get flamed for this comment.

Back
Top Bottom