Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do you need an expensive complex digital wireless AI/GTR unit when you can economically use the more practical, more reliable, no batteries needed analog SPG manometer to start with in the first place?
Why do you need an expensive complex digital wireless AI/GTR unit when you can economically use the more practical, more reliable, no batteries needed analog SPG manometer to start with in the first place?

Well I could get a flip cellular phone to make calls. It is easier to use, has longer battery life, probably more reliable without a complex OS and you can physically remove and replace batteries. It also cannot be hacked and have all my contacts and pictures stolen and put all over the web. But hey I choose to use a smart phone.

I for one will dive both with my SPG and Perdix AI. My left arm is programmed to undo the clip from my left hip ring (BP/W) and bring it up to my face every 5 min. Its a habit that's hard to break. Plus I love redundancy when diving.:) :wink:

I for one will dive both with my SPG and Perdix AI. My left arm is programmed to undo the clip from my left hip ring (BP/W) and bring it up to my face every 5 min. Its a habit that's hard to break. Plus I love redundancy when diving.:) :wink:
So, for the redundancy you will program also the right arm ? :) Or you will just use it to support the Perdix ? :cool:

:) You bet. Right arm is already programmed.

Recreational divers started buying Petrels because there was a convincing argument that despite all the extra power, the core design features--intuitive user interface, wonderful display, user-replaceable battery--were just as beneficial to rec divers as a tec divers. .

Quite a lot of rec divers brought into SW because they were the fashion. none of them needed GF (most don't even understand it) For Rc diving (no deco) - which is the vast majority of the divers, you can purchase a computer for a lot less that will do the job

yes you could. I have an spg on each of the 4 tanks I have a transmitter on. However I prefer to look at my wrist when hanging on to a rock in a down current, rather than un-clipping my SPG and looking at it.

Bt if your doing benign dives or inland quarry dives I can see your point.. some of us don't dive those easy areas though

That is assuming I can find a price for the Perdix AI as no UK stockists appear to have it listed yet.

My LDS carried some back from DEMA. I bought mine at $991 without transmitter.

My LDS carried some back from DEMA. I bought mine at $991 without transmitter.

I mine not criticising you on your purchase. but I have to laugh. I took a ton of abuse because I chose the Eon Steel with it's high costs. Now I see that SW with their AI have a higher price point yet people see this is acceptable.

A really good example of how much extra a good brand can command in price

I get AI/GTR for rec divers. But why on earth would a tech diver on a tech dive want GTR? I can understand AI to some extent even for tech, but GTR with even multiple tanks/gasses? Just don't get it.

I mine not criticising you on your purchase. but I have to laugh. I took a ton of abuse because I chose the Eon Steel with it's high costs. Now I see that SW with their AI have a higher price point yet people see this is acceptable.

A quick search of Google Shopping shows Eon's, without transmitter, at higher prices than what savsuds paid. What am I missing?

You can get it cheaper online. I have seen $1175 Perdix AI with 1 transmitter,$935 Perdix AI no transmitter, and $849 Perdix. I just support my LDS when I can. I got my Perdix for $799 before the Canadian dollar changed. I am still debating selling my Perdix since I have a Hollis TX1 as a backup.

The flexibility the Perdix AI offers me is worth its cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom