Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there no "standard" that dictates that the SPG will be clipped to the left waist D-ring?
I worked with another student working on a tech pass who kept his clipped to his left should D-ring. Not sure how that would work out with Deco bottles, but the instructor didn't seem to have a problem. But yes, you must have an actual SPG.

Equipment config according to GUE (at least for training purposes):
  1. D-rings: No more than two on the chest, positioned to reduce the drag of attached items; one hip D-ring to hold the pressure gauge.
  2. Pressure Gauge Hose: Custom hose allows a diver to easily read the gauge after unclipping, but does not bow or dangle, thus avoiding excess drag.
  3. Pressure Gauge: Quality brass gauge should be easy to read and reliable.
But that's for training. In the end it's the instructor who allows a config or not. For real dives you could decide otherwise if you like incl. AI.

AJ, where did you copy that from? I could not find that in the Standards.

Ah, yes, I have seen that page. I have to wonder how much weight what's on that page carries these days? Sure, there is a lot of good information there, but I also recognize it is straight out of the "DIR" book that some have said could use updating. GUE doesn't even use the term "DIR" anymore. The "Baker's Dozen: Problems with Computer Diving" from the DIR book is on that page, too. At least a couple of those "problems" sound pretty silly these days. I don't even think it is possible navigate to that page from the gue.com home page. Did you find that page by Googling?

A question for GUE would be how much weight is to be given to general information like that as opposed to the published (and periodically updated) Standards?

Although AI, like a computer, is not a tool used in GUE classes, are these tools inherently antithetical to GUE principles? I don't think so. Outside of classes, GUE divers use computers and some apparently even use AI.

Although AI, like a computer, is not a tool used in GUE classes, are these tools inherently antithetical to GUE principles? I don't think so. Outside of classes, GUE divers use computers and some apparently even use AI.
I suspect that there is much more careful pre-dive planning by GUE divers, even if they have computers running in tech mode, than typical computer divers.

Ah, yes, I have seen that page. I have to wonder how much weight what's on that page carries these days? Sure, there is a lot of good information there, but I also recognize it is straight out of the "DIR" book that some have said could use updating. GUE doesn't even use the term "DIR" anymore. The "Baker's Dozen: Problems with Computer Diving" from the DIR book is on that page, too. At least a couple of those "problems" sound pretty silly these days. I don't even think it is possible navigate to that page from the gue.com home page. Did you find that page by Googling?

A question for GUE would be how much weight is to be given to general information like that as opposed to the published (and periodically updated) Standards?

Yes, just typed in "GUE equipment configuration"and it was the first hit.

The GUE stance as I understand is: you can use anything you like, but don't bet your life on it. Therefore you need to be able to make your diveplan in a team and know how to deal with deveations from the plan in a team. With a computer you would make your own plan (every computer brand is different) and rely on the computer manufacturer to make that plan for you (brand specific algorithm). It would even be possible to having your computer executing that plan. But what if your computer fails? How would your teammates know your plan? How would you know? That's why GUE and other tech agency's are 'against' computers. They are not saying: you can't use them, they are saying: rely on your knowledge, training and teammates instead of technology to be save.

As far as SPG goes, GUE uses some tricks in training like SPG on left hip ring and separated SMB and spool to increase taskload. Almost every diver can hover in easy circumstances. But can you hover while sharing air, at the same time sending a smb up and all of the time being aware of your position in the team, your position in the water column, position of your teammates and your remaining air all the time? And that's just Fundamentals training :wink:

Received the Perdix a couple of weeks ago and got a chance to use it in Hawaii for about 17 dives. it is a joy to see that bright blue screen. it is so easy to read and very easy to set up. I really like the dive log menu and the ease of setting your Nitro settings. It connected quickly to the air transmitter and did not lose connection during any dives.

I couldn't be happier with this tool.

So - what is the sampling time frame on the Perdix? I can't seem to find it - 2 secs, 5 secs, 10 secs, 30 secs? I down loaded my first dive and realized I did not set a sampling so it must be standard and I can not find it in the operating instructions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom