Shearwater Predator OLED versus UEMIS SDA OLED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was under the impression that when at depth, the "off" function is not available? Is it just disabled despite being visible? I haven't got my Predator wet yet.

I was under the impression that when at depth, the "off" function is not available? Is it just disabled despite being visible? I haven't got my Predator wet yet.

YOu're correct - the Off option is not normally available when submerged.

Apparently the water column was some sort of vacuum column - so it was negative pressure .... Did you notice the depth reading on the X1?

Something is amiss. I'm diving mine today, so I'll report back.

Ok, I dove mine today.

The screen is not visible when the computer is at a steep angle and you are at depth. And I mean steep. So steep in fact that it wouldn't even occur to me to try to look at the screen regardless what computer I'm using. The screen is really easy to see otherwise.

I had been playing with the computer a lot while learning the in's-and-out's (on the surface). So, on the first dive, the low battery warning light appeared in the color yellowish gold. Later during the dive it popped up another battery warning, but this time it was red. Both times, the bold warning colors caught my attention immediately.

The computer is so intuitive (when compared to my VR3) that I feel as if I should be doing "more", if that makes sense. People who have VR's know what I'm talking about. No getting stuck on a screen because you can't remember if it's a short push of the left button, or a long of the right.....or was is a short of both.....maybe it was short right....Son-of-a.....???:idk:

My initial two-dive impression is favorable, but I think it's preemptive to unequivocally proclaim this unit as being the cat's meow.

Well after all the helpful discussions I eventually decided on the UEMIS SDA and just put the order in for 2 of them from Dive Right in Scuba.

Can't wait to actually get my hands on them!

The reflection from the flash has bigger impact on the angle you can read/view the read-out on the Shearwater than noted in the above posts.

I did a quick study of this topside and was able to easy read (and capture images) when the flash was off (using a larger ISO), but taking a picture from the exactly the same position with the flash the image came out "blank". Of course I am not saying the max angle of visibility is the same for both computers is the same, just that the images taken with a flash (in or above the water) can not be utilized as method to compare actual performance.

Total internal reflection only occurs underwater. Therefore the pictures you posted are not relevant, since they are taken in air. The photos below were taken underwater. The Uemis has the same viewing angle as the X1.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

I've had my Uemis SDA for a year now and have dove it on 70 dives and three trips. As far as I know, I was the first US customer. I still love this computer... for me it is exactly what a dive computer should be...all of the info you need , easy to read, reliable, looks great (especially on night dives). It is amazingly intuitive to navigate-- quite the opposite of my backup Suunto Vytec.. I like the air-integration... the remaining gas time has become a valuable piece of information for me, as well as the instantaneos SAC rate.
The SDA was the best scuba purchase I've made so far. I can highly recommend it.

Is there now a US distributor ? I had to get mine direct from Switzerland.

EDIT: Wow I was just on the Uemis website--it seems that they have a lot of US distributors now... cool ! I still have not encountered another diver with one yet.

Glad to know yours has been good for so long.

Mine are at the Fedex depot - picking them up tomorrow! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom