Shearwater Predator Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajduplessis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was not sure where to post it, technical or computer??? It is a computer thus only here for a start. Please feel free to move this if needed.

I have been in the market for a new dive computer. Too be more specific a tech computer. During my research I read a lot of feedback in http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/technical-diving-specialties/407653-better-oc-trimix-computer.html thread along the huge amount of private research to got to these conclusions.

Background: I have a couple of Suunto Dive computers (D9, Zoop and Helo2) and love them all. Why then look for a new one? The simple reason is that none of the units are very flexible, configurable and most importantly I can’t match the RGBM profile to my planned GF/VPM tables. They are also overly conservative past the 180ft range. The display/backlight is not great for caving and need to be activated regularly. I have dived each of the units below which gave me real life inputs.

DC Requirements
: Large easy to read OLED/LED display. User changeable batteries with good life cycles (ie don’t want to change batteries after even couple of dives). Choice in deco algorithm with flexible configuration options. CC support, dive planner, and easy to use.

IMO it boiled down to the VR range, Liquivision X1 and the Shearwater Predator. Below is a short extract of what I found with regards to each unit.

VRx (5 out 10):
The unit is nice and compact which I like. Comes with VGM, you can opt to have dive planner, gas blender/mixer and Fischer connections for cell monitoring on your RB. VGM is configurable and the battery is rechargeable. It’s a good product but there is really nothing I like about it. I don't like the menu interface or display, the interfaces sucks to be honest. The look and feel is dated and has a cheapish look (display) to it.

X1 (5 out 10): This is really a nice unit and was initially on the top of my list. The architecture is open thus nearly any algo can be used. Options include GAP, V-Planner and Multideco, all configurable. It also comes with 2 pressure sensors and is build like a tank!! Nice small unit with a very good display. I don't like the battery life span even with the recharge option. The fact that no Fischer connection is available baffles my mind, don't understand why. The main issue with the X1 is the tap interface. LiquiVision calls the X1 the iPhone” of dive computers. This I can tell you is not the case. iPhone’s are easy to use with min input/effort. You need to be Michael Flatley, tapping for your life to get anything done. If Liquivision move away from the tap interface and use something simple like on the Predator, I would buy 2 and up the score to a least 7 or 8 (still no fischer)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Predator (8 out 10):
There is really nothing bad to report. If I had to mention something it would be the size, however it works and feel great in the water. Make sure you position it on your forearm where it will not interfere with valve drills in OC diving. It comes standard with Buhlmann GF and VPM is available @ $75. The VPM option also adds a hybrid algorithm VPM/GF, have not used and don’t plan to either. All deco options are fully configurable and can be update during a dive if needed. The menus are so simple it is scary and the display is absolutely fantastic. The unit also does not penalize you if you don’t use programmed gasses or not completing stops. It will however update you deco schedule accordingly, thus giving you the flexibility to complete the dive the way you want to. This is not something I am likely to do, but dive conditions or circumstances could “force” you to change your profile on the way out. There are many other good feature/nice to haves with Shearwater and also the other units. I will not cover them here as they did not form part of my initial requirements.

I am very happy with my new Predator, it ticks all the boxes.

These are my humble views. I hope potential users/buyers find this useful.

Last edited:
+1 for the Predator :wink:

We have been collaborating with Shearwater for quite some time to integrate the Predator in our eDviing simulator (both OC and CC capabilities) and to develop the Predator Online Class.

We have recently released the beta version of divePAL Tech (Dive Planner/Logger) that includes the Predator (only OC right now ... CC next month)

divePAL_tech_predator.jpg

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Reactions: Jax
Nice to see the effort towards training and education.

I was not aware of this??? Will have a look again during sundays dives. I quickly scanned the manual a bit but can not find any info on this.

PS: Why would seconds be of value? You leave a stop once its cleared.

I guess a better way to ask the question would be to ask if it has a gauge or timer mode that has seconds. You are right if you are using it as a computer you can just do what it says. Having seconds with a timer is helpful with timed stops.

My current computer in gauge mode only has minutes and doing 1 minute stops every 10 feet is easier to accomplish with seconds. 30 seconds to new depth and a 30 second hold. It is a little tougher without seconds, but possible.

I can confirm that the unit will display seconds as a bar underneath the dive time label. This works well and I now know of another function I was not aware of.

Thanks DiveNav!!! There is a lot of benefit to do the online classes.

Thanks for this review. I am meeting with a dealer in a couple weeks to discuss one. I like the size, readability, and hopefully the price if we can come to an understanding.

.....Thanks DiveNav!!! There is a lot of benefit to do the online classes.....
Thank you for taking the Predator class. Now you should start playing with divePAL Tech :wink:

Tell your friends about us.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom