Shearwater Predator Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been diving a Shearwater for 2 years now. while at first I loved it, I no longer trust it, it is now my backup computer. It has been back to the factory 2 times now to have a depth sensor replaced and the mother board the last time. The problem that I have had, and my buddy who got his at the same time, is the battery life, I have had it show full battery at the start of the dive and then say low battery and turn off mid dive, then turn back on and start another dive. All while I'm underwater. Not Good. I do hope that since getting it back from having the board replaced that it will be fine now. As I do love the display on this computer.

I am now using a OLED VRX as my primary computer. With my shearwater on my other wrist and a bottom timer in my pocket. I understand that you dislike the display on the VRX, the LCD is not as easy to read, but look at the OLED version that was just released. I love it. The interface may seem a little more complicated at first but sit down and play with it a bit and it becomes very easy to use.

Just my 2 cents

I have been diving a Shearwater for 2 years now. while at first I loved it, I no longer trust it, it is now my backup computer. It has been back to the factory 2 times now to have a depth sensor replaced and the mother board the last time. The problem that I have had, and my buddy who got his at the same time, is the battery life, I have had it show full battery at the start of the dive and then say low battery and turn off mid dive, then turn back on and start another dive. All while I'm underwater. Not Good. I do hope that since getting it back from having the board replaced that it will be fine now. As I do love the display on this computer.

I am now using a OLED VRX as my primary computer. With my shearwater on my other wrist and a bottom timer in my pocket. I understand that you dislike the display on the VRX, the LCD is not as easy to read, but look at the OLED version that was just released. I love it. The interface may seem a little more complicated at first but sit down and play with it a bit and it becomes very easy to use.

Just my 2 cents

:hm:

Everyone has been exclaiming to the heavens that their Predator is golden, You are the first one I have heard otherwise from.

Anyone else?

:hm:

Everyone has been exclaiming to the heavens that their Predator is golden, You are the first one I have heard otherwise from.

Anyone else?

Mine hasn't been perfect but its still the best game in town.

1) Depth sensor failed. (Read 0 after initial descent) Manufacturer replied to Email on a Sunday afternoon. A week later I had a repaired computer at $0 out of pocket cost. (including shipping) Customer service does not get any better than that.

2)Had a "Watchdog Timer Error" at the start of a dive. NDL read "99" throughout dive,even when approaching deco. My opinion is this was caused by battery bounce. (Battery lost contact and computer reinitialized at a depth of a few feet. ) This is the only time I ever did a Giant Stride wearing double 104's. Shearwater are not convinced this was the cause. It was an older firmware version.
My take home from both of the above is to check your computer is behaving at the start of every dive. (And be happy I learned to dive when tables were still required!)

3)Low Battery indicator is a bit flaky. Apparently has been fixed a while back. I'm lazy and can't be bothered to download new firmware versions unless I have a real good reason!

<< Version 32:
• Models heat transfer between water and battery compartment to account for insulation
provided by case. Purpose is to reduce false low battery internal warnings caused by changes in
water temperature. >>

Ian its worth upgrading the firmware. No product is without flaws and the latest fw corrected stuff. The upgrade is very simple with the bluetooth interfaces.

1) You will need the latest desktop software, or upgrade your current copy (6mb)
2) The transition fw file if cuurent is lower than v32 (120kb)
3) Download the latest fw V42 (400kb)

All files are here: http://www.shearwater.com/pages/library/

This should not take longer than a couple of minutes.

Last edited:
AJ, thanks for a good review!

No problem. I would like to add to this some time soon to highlight an array of other very usefull function. I really like my predator a lot.

"X1 (5 out 10): This is really a nice unit and was initially on the top of my list. The architecture is open thus nearly any algo can be used. Options include GAP, V-Planner and Multideco, all configurable. It also comes with 2 pressure sensors and is build like a tank!! Nice small unit with a very good display. I don't like the battery life span even with the recharge option. The fact that no Fischer connection is available baffles my mind, don't understand why. The main issue with the X1 is the tap interface. LiquiVision calls the X1 the iPhone” of dive computers. This I can tell you is not the case. iPhone’s are easy to use with min input/effort. You need to be Michael Flatley, tapping for your life to get anything done. If Liquivision move away from the tap interface and use something simple like on the Predator, I would buy 2 and up the score to a least 7 or 8 (still no fischer)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Just wondering how other Liquivision owners feel about the tap interface. I've been thinking of saving up for their new Lynx. My tech diver buddies all have Predators - and love them. But I'm a rec diver and will essentially remain one so I was thinking the Predator was more than I needed. I love the readability of OLED's. I'd grab the Cobalt if it were wrist mounted. That's why the Lynx seemed to hold a lot of potential. So do other liquivision owners find the tapping ok or a pita?

Keeping in mind the form factor of the X1 vs Xeo\Xen\Lynx is different, the tapping system on my X1 is foolproof after acquainting yourself to it above water, is worlds better then any push button method I have seen whether its the small watch-style Suunto or Oceanics, or larger ones. You can set the tap sensitivity via 2 settings, Soft or Hard. I usually keep it set to Hard when storing it or on the way to the boat\dive site, and set it to Soft before splashing, I have never had it wake up (3 taps) accidentally, but if it is in a menu, I have had it do unintentional cycling of an option.

Some people swear at it, and some people swear by it, I am the latter - it makes navigating so much faster. I watched every video and read every review I could on the X1 before buying it, mainly because I was unsure of how I'd like the tapping system. One thing you need to be sure of is it being securely mounted on your wrist - the Lynx is bungee-ready, so just be sure the bungee is snug, or else youll have problems with it 'slipping' while trying to navigate underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom