Shearwater Predator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A computer is not a novelty. That's really kind of funny that you'd even say that. If you tell me you dive tables to do tech dives, I'd say that's kind of limiting, and also kind of funny.

You can suggest your cheap computer, and then buy another computer... but buying something twice IMO is what I would call wasting money.

Just because he won't use the FULL CAPABILITIES for a few years doesn't mean that it's not a VALUABLE TOOL to use right now. :wink:

I think it's funny you assume that all tech divers use computers. I use DecoPlanner or Vplanner software to cut tables for my dives and I dive my plan. The tables are never my limiting factor - it's volume of gas I have on my back. Until I'm willing to spend $10k on a rebreather I'll be stuck in that equation.

I've not knocked the Shearwater. I've read the manual and looked at it several times. I've also looked at the Liquivision. Both great products. But they are a niche. There's a subcategory in the market for this computer. Mostly OC tech divers who wish to move towards breathers. To suggest a new diver pick this up is IMO crazy. Like another poster said - by the time he's ready to need the capabilities it offers Shearwater will have out V2 or V3 with stuff that makes the current version look like PADI tables.

How is the dive log software for this compare to some of the cheaper coms out there? I though of that as a pretty important feature.

I think it's funny you assume that all tech divers use computers. I use DecoPlanner or Vplanner software to cut tables for my dives and I dive my plan. The tables are never my limiting factor - it's volume of gas I have on my back. Until I'm willing to spend $10k on a rebreather I'll be stuck in that equation.

Ok... sure. Don't read beyond what I'm saying. You called it a novelty. I have maybe done more tec dives that you've done dives. But let's not split hairs.

Your answer to the OP's question is IMO lame. People shouldn't be afraid to buy dive gear that they'll grow into. Your answer to why buy something twice is also not good IMO. The thing is... the Shearwater isn't Niche, it's practical, and competitively priced in line with the Oceanic OC1, or the Suunto D9. Right?

I've not knocked the Shearwater. I've read the manual and looked at it several times.
I've dived it a few hundred times.

I've also looked at the Liquivision.
me too.

But this isn't a pissing match about who has more experience or knows more about dive computers and tables. This is about a relatively new diver asking about buying quite possibly the last computer he'll ever need, and I say why NOT buy it now.

Like another poster said - by the time he's ready to need the capabilities it offers Shearwater will have out V2 or V3 with stuff that makes the current version look like PADI tables.

PADI tables are bad? They're no worse than any other dive table...

And the shearwater allows you to download the latest firmware, to keep your product up to date. Predator or Pursuit... you can still keep it up to date :wink:

No reason NOT to get one right now.

Howard do you own stock in Shearwater? :)

For the price of the Shearwater the guy can get a BP/wing, nice single tank reg set up and the $300 computer.

If he wants to pay the money for a Shearwater then that's his choice. I'm offering advice for the budget conscience.

BTW. I bought a $280 computer for my first computer. I use it on tech dives, in gauge mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've spent too much money over the years on computers that I outgrew so i agree that in the long run you will spend less money if you buy one computer that will be able to handle any level of diving you plan to do. The predator can be used as a rec computer and grow with you over time as your level of diving moves into tech. If however you don't paln on doing long, deep dives with significant deco there's no point in spending that kind of money.

"I wish ALL the gases were in a file at all times and you just had to turn them on and off for each dive"

Hi Gary,

Turning gases off and on is a feature that we intend on adding in the next software release which is coming soon. People that want this feature will have the option of activating it - people that don't can leave it as is. That way, both camps are satisfied.

Regards
Lynn Partridge

Fantastic! Best of both worlds.

PS to Babyduck..Hi Marci. Good meeting you over christmas.

FWIW, TDI requires a minimum of something like 100 dives with a portion of them being "deep" before you can be considered to take Adv EANx/Deco.

I have two Predators. Aside from the larger size, and the inability to turn gasses off/on, I love them.

Howard do you own stock in Shearwater? :)
No

For the price of the Shearwater the guy can get a BP/wing, nice single tank reg set up and the $300 computer.

And for the price of an unnecessary computer, the guy can get a lot of other gear.

If he wants to pay the money for a Shearwater then that's his choice. I'm offering advice for the budget conscience.
Yeah. But you're not necessarily looking at the OP's question, and not really helping the guy out. Why NOT encourage him to do what makes sense, instead of what the usual... don't go to fast into something you know you love. Don't buy something you won't need to replace... don't buy something you don't need just yet.

Do YOU work at a dive shop? Because your advice is the usual idiot dive shop mentality. My advice is the sensible look to the future, and don't buy things you don't need advice.

BTW. I bought a $280 computer for my first computer. I use it on tech dives, in gauge mode.
I have 4 computers like that, and an OC1, and an ATOM 2.0. So what.

You can wear a waterproof watch as a bottom timer too, and an analog pressure gauge and depth gauge.

I'm just being honest with the OP, and telling him to "GO FOR IT" instead of the usual rhetoric that a lot of people regurgitate here on SB to "be overly cautious, because scuba diving is really really dangerous and scary. doubles can kill you!"

FWIW... Here's the OP again

I'm looking to hear from anyone who has used one of these computers.

I've heard nothing but good things over at the cave divers forum but I want to know how this computer fairs in open water diving too.

I am not currently a cave diver or wreck diver but that's my direction. I mentioned this computer to the owner of my local dive shop and he said that computers with multigas/trimix/ were overly complicated for open water dives. I don't think I agree, I read the manual and the Predator didn't seem to difficult. I want a wrist mounted computer. I also like the very clear screen the numbers really stand out. My next class is advanced nitrox / decompression.

I've only logged 20 or so dives and only rented computers so far. I'm asking on the forum because I'm hoping it will give insight to actual experience and help me make a informed decision
His dive shop wants to sell him a computer THAT THEY SELL :wink: That's why they say that... duh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep Howard - you're right...I gave my opinion and you gave yours. How dare I differ from yours. :idk:

To the original poster - I suggest you heavily weigh your need for such a robust computer at the moment. Talk to several instructors that actually teach AN/DP if you really believe you are on that path. Find out what they suggest. My guess is they will align more closely with my suggestions.

Good luck and dive dive dive!!!

Or you can just wear a watch as a backup bottom timer, and not buy a computer you don't need at all

A dive watch still costs money, and doesn't provide a depth backup like gauge mode does

FWIW, TDI requires a minimum of something like 100 dives with a portion of them being "deep" before you can be considered to take Adv EANx/Deco

Actually it is (or was when I did it) only 25 logged dives with 10 to 30m or deeper... plus AOW or equivalent & Nitrox

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom