Shearwater quality control

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do some of us "defend" Shearwater....because they make good computers and provide outstanding service. There are a few other companies who do the same with their own specific products. I want all of them to stay in business so the next time I need something they're there.

Case in point. The battery case in my Petrel flooded. I didn't know that was the cause of the problem but Shearwater took a look at it, said it couldn't be fixed and even though it was past warranty offered me a good deal on a new Perdix. I said I didn't really need a Perdix anymore but what about a Peregrine. Shearwater replied that they usually offered like for like but still gave me a great deal on a Peregrine.

Out of warranty and something that could have been my fault....why wouldn't I support them. Oh maybe it's because we are both in the Vancouver area 🙄

Are you serious? Why do I need to know what the issue is? Inadequate picture? The smudge can only be seen at certain angle with the right amount of light on it. It was extremely hard to take that picture.

Here is a video for you. Sorry if it is inadequate for your standards.

Curious; can you still see that "defect" in the LCD when the Perdix is turned on?

Reactions: JFS
Was I missing something in that video? I didn’t see anything.

Big Question: Why didn’t the OP just take it back to the store and ask for a new one to start? Why involve SW service? And us?
I see what he showed in the picture also in the video - a darker blemish in the lower left that seems to be under the glass. It only seemed visible from certain angles.

I never noticed anything like that on my Perdix 2. I would have returned for a new one if it had that as well, but would have done that with the retailer I brought it from - not Shearwater.

I shouldn't, but QC is my thing.

Make sure you check your computer thoroughly because the quality checklist card that comes with it is useless.

Was there anything on that card that was not accurate? Didn't see a check box for screen clarity?
To be fair, that is a production check off list. If you got everything on the list it was not useless.
Do issues arise, yes they do. But that card is not the holy grail, yet you trash it.

The charger base for my Teric failed on the second charge, SW took care of it right away.
Could of happened for a multitude of reasons, assess, reslove and move on.

I never noticed anything like that on my Perdix 2. I would have returned for a new one if it had that as well, but would have done that with the retailer I brought it from - not Shearwater.
For clarity, there are three entities involved here: Shearwater (the company); DiveTronix (and independent but authorized service facility for the US, who are also service providers for several other brands); and the unnamed dealer from whom the computer was purchased. The three are conflated in the OP and in many of the responses.

it is not clear whether or not Shearwater produced a faulty computer. It is clear that the unnamed dealer was responsible to provide a fully satisfactory product; they apparently did not, and took care of it immediately when (finally) approached. Good for them. They can sort it out with Shearwater. DiveTroniix does not seem to be involved at all, except they tried to figure out what the problem was.

It would be interesting to know what the problem was, and whether it has any affect on the visibility/clarity/functioning of the computer, or wether it is a completely unimportant "weird blemish" that can only be seen from certain angles in cerain lighting when the coptuer is off.

I'm a newish customer is sw, less than a year. I had an equipment failure recently and their customer service was incredible. I think you're taking heat because they've earned strong customer loyalty. You're issue is weird, I'd have exchanged it. The computers come with a screen protector preinstalled. Looks like something weird with it. Regardless, they are expensive and you deserve perfection. I hope you exchanged it, you won't regret it.

I don't know what kind of a drug SW is feeding the cultists but it must be top rated stuff. They totally missed the guy's point. He was merely saying that QA check list isn't always a guarantee that no defects with the product and one should do their own check. Very simple point didn't need all of the intimidation and dog piling that took place above.

I am certain that if it were a different brand piece of equipment, the reaction would have been the opposite. Must be really powerful drug.

I don't know what kind of a drug SW is feeding the cultists but it must be top rated stuff. They totally missed the guy's point. He was merely saying that QA check list isn't always a guarantee that no defects with the product and one should do their own check. Very simple point didn't need all of the intimidation and dog piling that took place above.

I am certain that if it were a different brand piece of equipment, the reaction would have been the opposite. Must be really powerful drug.
Some people even defend Ratio! 🙄

They totally missed the guy's point. He was merely saying that QA check list isn't always a guarantee that no defects with the product and one should do their own check.
I have seen those QA checklists in all kinds of products I unbox, and I never paid attention to them other than thinking "that's nice." I do try to inspect the item carefully, though. I like the Shearwater brand, but it wouldn't occur to me to view a Shearwater product differently, or that a Shearwater QA checklist has some special meaning.

Back
Top Bottom