• Garmin Descent

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • Neither

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Both

Votes: 9 9.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Twinnings

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Both beautifully crafted dive watches with different emphasis. The Shearwater edges more towards diving with AI and CCR integration, but the Garmin hosts a plethora of non-diving sport features like GPS tracking and altimeter. As I'm on the fence about which one to purchase I thought I'd throw this poll out there to see if it sways my indecisiveness.

OK, I just finished a week in Coz with the Descent on my left wrist and the Teric on my right. It's really hard to compare the two as they have such different features. First, the negatives and I have one for each PDC. The Teric needs charging constantly. I'm not getting 52 hours and so have been charging it nightly. On the other hand, the Descent's display looks like crap next to the Teric. Sure, I can read both but the Teric is far easier in sunlight and at depth without my glasses on. Now for the features which really affect my diving and daily life.

Descent: This is a fitness trainer watch that's added a PDC function. It's big and a bit clunky, but so am I, so I wear it all the time. The features I like
  • Step Counter
  • Swim/kayak/fitness tracker
  • Move! nag
  • Tracks my heartbeat
    • During the dive
    • Won't work through neoprene.
  • GPS function shows the beginning and end of every dive

Teric: This is a Petrel that has been run under Bugs Bunny's shrink ray! It's amazing and intuitive. It's big, clunky and an ounce heavier than the Descent. It can be worn as a watch. but you have to keep after the charge. The features I like
  • The overlaying compass
    • By far the easiest in the industry
    • You can still see your depth, gas and time while navigating.
  • AI (Air Integration)
    • Very solid connection
    • Easy to access
    • Easy to read
  • Easy gas set-up and switching
  • Very easy dive set-up

I find that during the dive, the Teric gets my attention until the Safety Stop. I can choose a 3 or 5-minute safety stop easily with the Descent, and 5 is always my choice. I haven't found where to do this on my Teric yet and it's set to 3. On the surface, the Descent gets most of my attention and has become my day to day watch.

BTW, I use both so I added that to the poll. :D Both have very different features so it's very hard to choose an overall "winner".

Teric. Will never use either the Teric or the Descent as an everyday watch. Neither are half as capable in that regard as the Apple Watch. So, for me, it is just a dive computer that can be a watch while on a dive vacation.

Even on a 4 dive day, the Teric battery was showing 65% at bed time.

per the manual...
its only available in OC Rec mode and it is found in the Deco menu.
Yup - on Page 70 of the manual:

i-t6K8pXw.png

per the manual...
Yup - on Page 70 of the manual:
I love you guys! :D :D :D Thanks for relieving me of a bit more ignorance!

I even remember seeing that screen, but for some reason, I guess I didn't hit the edit button. My bad.

Reading their "adapt" strategy, I just might leave it. Except it won't jive with the Descent.

Reading their "adapt" strategy, I just might leave it. Except it won't jive with the Descent.

Perhaps the "Deco Clear" function will better serve you/. In OC Tec, on an NDL dive, the moment you cross the 6 meter level on ascent to do your safety stop, the Teric automatically counts up. So just by looking at the Teric, you'll know if you've stayed at the stop for 3min, 4min, 5min, etc. The count up is in Min and Sec so it's a useful guide. On Deco dives, the Deco Clear function allows you to track your last stop padding for added conservatism.

Garmin Decent Mk1 for me and I have one. I wish it had AI but the other features make up for that.

I also have a Perdix AI so that tells me my remaining gas. I don't see much value in a smaller version of the Perdix.

I also run and have been using a step counter for a number of years so combining that into a single device was very appealing to me, as was the inbuilt heart rate.

I have been tracking my dive entry points (manually, or with other GPS devices) for over 10 years and my exit points for over 5 so having the dive computer do that for me is a added bonus - although the exit point is not very reliable as it doesn't turn on GPS until just before it takes the reading so it can be out by up to 50 metres.

Back
Top Bottom