shearwater vs liquivision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know you guys see a lot of the Shearwater DCs in the cave/tech world. But is the Petrel overkill for non-technical divers that just dive air and occasionally nitrox? Just curious.

I know you guys see a lot of the Shearwater DCs in the cave/tech world. But is the Petrel overkill for non-technical divers that just dive air and occasionally nitrox? Just curious.

I once thought the same thing, but I found out that Shearwater has a LOT of sales to the recreational market. It is fully upgradeable if the user advances and will not have to buy another computer. The resale value of it is also much more because of this.

Personally, I would not want to spend the $$ for a nitrox computer, but how many people have tried to save a dollar just to be sorry in the future?

I actually say down and compared side to side, and the petrel actually seems like the better choice for me. Can anyone tell me what exactly bugs you with liquivision? Is it battery life, customer service, or something else?

I actually say down and compared side to side, and the petrel actually seems like the better choice for me. Can anyone tell me what exactly bugs you with liquivision? Is it battery life, customer service, or something else?

I cant speak about anything that "bugs" me about the liquivision. I can speak about the Petrel and Shearwater in General.

Shearwater has done any and everything they can to provide top notch, unheard of service to its customers. Anything can and will break or malfunction. I want something that limits the likelihood of this happening - and - is supported 100% when it does happen. I know dozens and dozens of divers with Shearwaters and anyone who has ever had an issue was literally "wowed" by the service the received from the company.

That, in and of itself, was enough for me to make my choice.

Then - you touch and feel the Petrel and see how intuitive it is. I played with my Petrel for less than 10 minutes and was able to figure out 98% of the functionality without reading anything. Adding gasses, switching gasses, contingencies (gas addition under water), log uploads, etc...You name it - it just doesnt get any easier and more intuitive than this computer.

THEN - you add in the extreme percentage of divers (technical) that had the same choice and went with a Shearwater. Which by itself would mean nothing - but - they all love it. SOme buy 2, even three. Ask someone with a Shearwater and most of the time they tell you that you should not waste the calories on trying to make a decision...just go with the Shearwater. Not many brands in any industry have that level of satisfaction.

You also have to take into consideration the seemingly rapid fire improvements that Shearwater puts out. Several times a year, they offer free "upgrades" to the software, each time adding customer requested enhancements or features. Real features that make a difference - not just some irrelevant dot release that most software companies offer.

Liquivision might be a decent computer.....but.....Shearwater is a great computer, easy to use, backed by a phenominal support organization. That should be enough to make it a no brainer. It was for me and I could not be happier.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what exactly bugs you with liquivision? Is it battery life, customer service, or something else?

Yes.

Shearwater has done any and everything they can to provide top notch, unheard of service to its customers. Anything can and will break or malfunction. I want something that limits the likelihood of this happening - and - is supported 100% when it does happen. I know dozens and dozens of divers with Shearwaters and anyone who has ever had an issue was literally "wowed" by the service the received from the company.

That, in and of itself, was enough for me to make my choice.

This. When I first started looking at a wristmount computer for deep diving, the X1 was at the very, very top of my list. I loved the size, the construction, and the simplicity/redundancy; even thought I could live with the :censored:ty tap interface. Then I did my research on the company and its attitude towards service and support.

Liquivision and Eric Fattah apparently thought they were being smart with their original response to the raft of problems the early release X1s (and apparently XEOs) had. Guess what, guys? A reputation of being slick-ass, used car salesman types on customer service/support for $1000-$2000 dive computers cost you a lot more than a bunch of potted batteries would have.

I buy gear that I can't tear apart and fix 100% on my own from companies like Salvo/Light Monkey, DSS, Zeagle, Atomic, and Shearwater: ones that make the best products and then combine them with easy, no questions asked support 100% of the time, without games. I avoid the Liquivisions/SCUBAPROs/Oxycheqs of the world. It's an approach that has saved me headaches above and below the water.

Cant deal with the tap tap thing. Ostc and Petrel are the best options for me. Curious about what xDeep will release soon. Looks like smaller Petrel with compass and (proper) battery management. Could be nice...

Cant deal with the tap tap thing. Ostc and Petrel are the best options for me. Curious about what xDeep will release soon. Looks like smaller Petrel with compass and (proper) battery management. Could be nice...

What is proper battery management? Doesnt the Petrel have that already?

Shearwater customer service is nothing short of awesome.

Liquidvision has left some X1 users high and dry with no support.

Petrel gets my vote just on this alone.

I was about to post exactly what he said. I am one of those high and dry X1 owners. I own several Shearwaters now.

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom