shearwater vs liquivision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, a tech computer is not what I need - for all the reasons you guys mention.

Currently, I dive the Oceanic VT4 in a DSS mount with integrated wireless air pressure. But what I really want is the Atomic Cobalt wrist mounted with wireless air integration. Liquivision is coming out with something like that, but the comments regarding their support worries me a bit. I wish Shearwater had something like that on the drawing board as they seem to be a top notch company to deal with, but that's just not their area.

... But what I really want is the Atomic Cobalt wrist mounted with wireless air integration...

I have been waiting patiently for 1½ years and I will keep waiting until it does come out... After using my Cobalt I am so hooked on Atomic. I had an Atomic mask that leaked from the factory and was recalled...when I dealt with their service department it was also great no-hassle customer service.

The Cobalt I use for Rec...the Petrel I use Tech related diving. It just depends on what configuration I am diving that say :)

:focus:

+1 for the Petrel (it was my first and I do not see any reason to change a good thing)

What is proper battery management? Doesnt the Petrel have that already?

Sorry just saw this question now.
What I mean is having a computer that lets me know exactly how much battery time is left rather than having to guess and/or see battery error messages during the dive.
I do not know if I'm the only one in this case but I've had battery levels going up then down then up again. Not the most reassuring thing when a long deco is starting.
This may be due to SAFT battery issues. I'm experiencing similar problems with my Predator...

Last edited:
Sorry just saw this question now.
What I mean is having a computer that lets me know exactly how much battery time is left rather than having to guess and/or see battery error messages during the dive.
I do not know if I'm the only one in this case but I've had battery levels going up then down then up again. Not the most reassuring thing when a long deco is starting.
This may be due to SAFT battery issues. I'm experiencing similar problems with my Predator...

Battery meter is more accurate on the petrel using a regular AA. Ditch the saft - and you will have proper battery management. Since the Petrel came out, Shearwater pushes for the use of a regular AA. Better overal cost and measuring advantages.

I'm also a big proponent of integrated display for the reason you mention, and I believe it increases the safety of recreational diving.

Let's be careful not to assign a greater value to an escape timer versus a proper dive plan.

My Predator sometimes shows a battery low message when first turned on, but it goes away after a minute or 2. If it does not go away then I change the battery.

Has anyone ever had a Predator die from a low battery on a dive when it indicated OK at the start of the dive?

If by "long deco" you mean 10+ hours or something crazy like that, then I guess it might be a problem . (Might even have to go to a backup computer! :D )

If by "long deco" you mean 10+ hours or something crazy like that, then I guess it might be a problem . (Might even have to go to a backup computer! :D )

Lol, not that long no...
Like i said this may be due to the SAFT. Will keep the Saft for Predator and use AA in Petrel to see if it gets better!
Still a great computer

If you have a close look at the battery level during a day time dive, it directly relates to how close you are to the surface. What is above the surface? Sunshine! The battery level drops when the screen needs more power to make it brighter (using the auto setting). At times, my wife's Predator has shown the low battery symbol when exiting the water. However, it has worked perfectly for dozens of dives after this.

quite the opposite actually: I am noticing low battery issues mostly at depth!
Still diving and still haven't changed the battery. Am just dreading the day when both Shearwaters will show low bat at the same time at depth and I have to call the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom