shearwater vs liquivision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can take the opinion of 95% of the technical divers out there, or you can dive them both and make your decision. Either way, you'll end up with a Shearwater.

I'm making 200+ cave dives per year. If I see 10 divers per week, 8 of them are in Shearwaters. I haven't seen a liquidvision in probably a month.

+1. Spot-on IMO...

None of the computers you tech divers talk about have wireless transmitters for integrated tank pressure readings. I've grown accustom to looking down at my dive watch to read my tank pressure and the algorithm that tells me how many air minutes I have left is nice too. I do have a small pressure gauge as a backup. Is there some reason not to have this feature on a tech computer? What am I missing here?

None of the computers you tech divers talk about have wireless transmitters for integrated tank pressure readings. I've grown accustom to looking down at my dive watch to read my tank pressure and the algorithm that tells me how many air minutes I have left is nice too. I do have a small pressure gauge as a backup. Is there some reason not to have this feature on a tech computer? What am I missing here?

It's an expensive piece of technology that isn't required to conduct the dive. History has shown the technology to be unreliable as well. I've seen them shut down during dives. Some people find them helpful and that's fine, I'm just going to put my dive funds into things that actually progress my diving.

If you search the board this subject has been beaten to death. Your mileage may vary.

Sounds like you guys prefer to read the pressure guage and make your ascent decision based on your dive plan/experience rather than relying on a computer to tell you when it's time to come up?

I don't want to give anyone the impression I "live" by my integrated air time remaining reading on my computer. I watch air pressure more than anything and that's what I make my "time to ascend" decesion on. The air time remaining is more of an informational and backup thing. I guess this horse isn't dead yet. :)

Sounds like you guys prefer to read the pressure guage and make your ascent decision based on your dive plan/experience rather than relying on a computer to tell you when it's time to come up?

I don't want to give anyone the impression I "live" by my integrated air time remaining reading on my computer. I watch air pressure more than anything and that's what I make my "time to ascend" decesion on. The air time remaining is more of an informational and backup thing. I guess this horse isn't dead yet. :)

Gary, a "one size fits all" solution is never the best solution. The OP was asking about two different computers that are suitable for technical diving. The computer you are talking about sounds nice but it has no place in technical diving for a number of reasons, some of which have already been discussed. No one is saying your recreational computer is wrong for you but it is certainly wrong for the application the OP is likely to be using it for.

You got it. That's why there is such a thing as a dive plan. Flying the computer gets people in trouble. Do you know what algorithm is used in yours and how it was tested? Does it take into account your body type, physical condition, experience, or judgment skills? A proper dive plan does. The computer is not the planner. You are. It just keeps track of how well you stick to it and gives you information. That's how I train my OW students and in fact don't recommend they even buy computers until they have their skills down pat and some dives in.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Gary,

If your dive requirements are more along the lines of recreational diving...I strongly suggest an Atomic Colbalt. The Colbalt IMHO is the best recreational consol dive computer on the market.
But the Colbalt can be explored on other threads. :focus:

~Oldbear~

Gary, one of the big differences between the diving you are doing and technical diving is that the parameters of a technical dive are all pretty much set before you get in the water. You know how deep you are going to go, how long you are going to stay there, and how you are going to execute your ascent and stops, before you put your gear on. Recreational dives are almost always a lot more free-form, because what you do often depends on what you find to look at, and your dive can take many shapes within a generous set of outside limits (total dive time, no-deco limits, and gas supply). Believe it or not, a tech diver almost doesn't NEED the information from his gas gauge if the dive goes as planned, because he's figured out how much gas he's going to use at each point in the dive beforehand. The gauge is more to double-check that nothing is untoward -- no unnoticed leaks or increased breathing rate that would be unexpected.

In fact, this is the thing that some of us keep trying to bring to the recreational world, is this mindset of doing some planning of depth, time and gas BEFORE getting in the water. The recreational diver doesn't have to cut tables like somebody diving the Empress of Ireland, but it would reduce the instances of accidental deco and getting low on gas if people spent some time thinking about what they are going to do, and what resources they have to do it with, even on basic reef dives.

In fact, this is the thing that some of us keep trying to bring to the recreational world, is this mindset of doing some planning of depth, time and gas BEFORE getting in the water...

I had a BSAC Dive Officer that would encourage everyone to pre-plan all of our dives (which were recreational dives in Kuwait & Egypt's Red Sea) prior to ever hitting the water. After the dive we would compare our dive data with our planning efforts. I think this made, at least for me a much more inclusive and enjoyable dive...especially when there wasn't much to see UW like Kuwait. When I first started pre-dive planning/post dive comparisons I has <100 dives; this really facilitated my learning of gas management, depth control, and a host of other dive applications. I have always wanted to know the "Whys", the "Whats", the "Hows" and not just the "It Happens".

I'm also a big proponent of integrated display for the reason you mention, and I believe it increases the safety of recreational diving.

I think the reason technical divers don't like AI, is the transmitter is vulnerable in wreck or cave diving and presents a failure point. Also in an overhead environment the remaining air time is not that meaningful as it assumes you have a clear path to the surface, and historically technical divers tend to shun computers period, as deco dives have to be preplanned anyway.

Back
Top Bottom