shearwater vs liquivision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quite the opposite actually: I am noticing low battery issues mostly at depth!
Still diving and still haven't changed the battery. Am just dreading the day when both Shearwaters will show low bat at the same time at depth and I have to call the dive.

You could always pre empt and change the battery in one of them now. I always stagger my batteries to avoid this possible problem. I do the same with my hand held lights also.

Sounds like you already made up your mind with the "Liquivision takes it". The LV is a good DC, but please let us know when you realise you should have gone with Shearwater. Speak soon.

Why do I always read these posts after I buy something??? After I bought..........yes you guessed it XEO....... I was shown the Shearwater and told and shown why its better......Damn.......... on the bright side.............I will now have to buy 2 new dive computers, one for me and one for wife as we both dive the same gear as policy.

---------- Post added March 19th, 2013 at 10:45 PM ----------

Gary, one of the big differences between the diving you are doing and technical diving is that the parameters of a technical dive are all pretty much set before you get in the water. You know how deep you are going to go, how long you are going to stay there, and how you are going to execute your ascent and stops, before you put your gear on. Recreational dives are almost always a lot more free-form, because what you do often depends on what you find to look at, and your dive can take many shapes within a generous set of outside limits (total dive time, no-deco limits, and gas supply). Believe it or not, a tech diver almost doesn't NEED the information from his gas gauge if the dive goes as planned, because he's figured out how much gas he's going to use at each point in the dive beforehand. The gauge is more to double-check that nothing is untoward -- no unnoticed leaks or increased breathing rate that would be unexpected.

In fact, this is the thing that some of us keep trying to bring to the recreational world, is this mindset of doing some planning of depth, time and gas BEFORE getting in the water. The recreational diver doesn't have to cut tables like somebody diving the Empress of Ireland, but it would reduce the instances of accidental deco and getting low on gas if people spent some time thinking about what they are going to do, and what resources they have to do it with, even on basic reef dives.

This is so so true. Tech diving is preplanning, rec diving is historically planning on the fly but should be no different to tech diving planning.

Why do I always read these posts after I buy something??? After I bought..........yes you guessed it XEO....... I was shown the Shearwater and told and shown why its better......Damn.......... on the bright side.............I will now have to buy 2 new dive computers, one for me and one for wife as we both dive the same gear as policy.

---------- Post added March 19th, 2013 at 10:45 PM ----------

This is so so true. Tech diving is preplanning, rec diving is historically planning on the fly but should be no different to tech diving planning.

Same thing happened to me just after I bought a new computer after giving up on waiting for the Lynx I too "discovered" the Shearwater Petrel. Oh well ay least I know what my next computer will be.

Well now that you've all bought Shearwaters, have you had a good look at the Heinrich Weikamp OSTC 3 and DR-x... Some very sweet options, especially for CCR divers (optical connection for HUD or live PPO2 on computer). Just when I was thinking of getting a second Petrel as soon as my wife gets back in the water!

Well now that you've all bought Shearwaters, have you had a good look at the Heinrich Weikamp OSTC 3 and DR-x... Some very sweet options, especially for CCR divers (optical connection for HUD or live PPO2 on computer). Just when I was thinking of getting a second Petrel as soon as my wife gets back in the water!

I researched it.

Looks nice.

Still chose the Petrel.

I bought a HW Frog, a very nice computer and great customer service . At present I only rec dive.

Researched both computers for OC & CC. Shearwater will still kick butt!! I don't know of any Liquivision rebreather guys here and I talk about guys like Don Sherley, not PADI rec rebreathers.

Just put in my claim so will see how I go

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom