Sheer Curiosity - Celebrity Sightings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speaking of celebrities: I saw a documentary ("The Other One") about the Grateful Dead and Jerry Garcia and Bob Weir were divers. Maybe Bob Weir still is. they were saying how much Jerry loved to dive.

They had some underwater footage, Jerry Garcia was vertical, standing / walking on the coral, and touching everything he could (had an octopus in hand).

- Bill

I was diving at Marineland with my then wife while they were filming Hot Shots. Lloyd Bridges, who filmed a ton of scenes for Sea Hunt at Marineland was sitting nearby. I walked over and talked to him about diving Marineland and suggested that since we were the same size, he could use my gear and dive with my wife while they set up the next shot. He said the insurance company wouldn't allow it, but he wished he could. It would have made a great entry in her logbook.

Some years ago I met 80's and 90's "super model" Kathy Ireland in
Pompano Beach on a dive boat once.
Pleasant Lady.
I think she was getting certified as she was going to be in another Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue and they wanted photos of her diving while wearing a swim suit alone in Bali or some other place.
She was looking great in her high waisted one piece swimsuit for about 14 seconds and then every young mans fantasy disappeared under a 3mm wetsuit of black neoprene with pink trim, that was a rental.
She though it funny how "Sexy" SCUBA was portrayed as pretty much everyone climbing back onto the boat was as usual blowing their noses and generally snotting up the place.

A few active few Miami Dolphins, Florida Panthers, and Florida Marlins players in the past.
I will not name drop as I think it is generally in their contracts not to SCUBA dive, or Sky Dive, or ride motorcycles amongst other restricted activities.

And John Chatterton.
Very occasionally I find myself on the same boat as him.
He is typically teaching a wreck diving class when I have run into him down here in SoFla.
I have attended several events where he speaks at Force-E SCUBA Centers down here in Broward and Palm Beach counties.

I am am on a first name basis with him as upon our first formal meeting, and after introducing myself to him and calling him "Mr. Chatterton",
he shook my hand strongly, looked me dead in the eye,
and told me on no uncertain terms that I henceforth "Just call me John".

So when I occasionally run into him, I say "Hello John", and give him my full name.
LOL.

Chug
Once shared a fresh pineapple after a dive with Kathy Ireland,
and a few other people.

I did have one of the Miami Dolphin Cheerleaders, Marlis, as an OW student:

110214-sdvsmia-db4182.jpg

True! I actually saw Arnold Schwarzennegger (sp?) up close once - I was with my kids at the Hyannis Sheraton (Cape Cod). He was with his then-wife, Maria Shriver. My kids and I basically stalked them out to their car (I was totally starstruck) and he turned to the kids, waved and said "Hi kids". After they drove off I realized I had my camera in my fanny pack (no comments about my dorky fanny pack please!).
I wasn't going to mention the fanny pack... but the mom jeans? They have to go....

---------- Post added July 5th, 2015 at 04:23 PM ----------

I think the problem with bumping into Rihanna (I here she dives) or most big name celebrities is that they aren't going to be slumming on cattle boats that most of us are finding ourselves.
rs_560x415-131017112343-1024.rihanna-instagram.jpg

Last edited:
I was just thinking about brushes with infamy... I remembered that I had a fellow student who was taking an assistant instructor course when I was in college in VA. Her then fiancee was trying to get into the SEALs and she was trying to get higher certification so they could dive together after the marriage. Less than two years later he was arrested in the largest espionage busts in US history. Her by then husband was Michael Walker of the Infamous Walker Family spies. She was a very nice girl and didn't deserve to be associated with such a sad event. I hope she has been able to put it in the past and gone on to find a decent life for herself.

Not JMC, or even Dr Bill.....

I wasn't going to mention the fanny pack... but the mom jeans? They have to go....[/QUOTE]

Seriously, who told you about the mom jeans!!!??? I think you're right about them not being on the cattle boats with the rest of us. Oh well. :D

I am the celebrity with whom other people like to dive. Not really. I have hasd the privilege of diving with Ty Sawyer and also a couple of not too famous journeyman pro athletes. My idea of a celebrity to dive with: any of my SB friends.
Divemaster Dennis

Some of the guys from the spearfishing reality show "Catching Hell" a couple even worked for me.Netdoc and Genesis at the same time years ago on a SB meetup @ Devil's Den.

Quite a few of my buddies have 5000+ dives and a couple over 10,000 and we have this conversation at times.The hands down winner was the guy who had an "adult actress"of some amazing proportions charter his whole boat for herself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom