Sherkston May 8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hehehehe

I didn't want to tell them that until the job was done.

I'll be the one with NO fins on :)

(And tangled up in a fouled reel)

Steve

advtech:
While your diving Sherkston, look out at the lake and wave. Unless there is thunder and lightning and 5 ft. waves, we'll be putting the mooring buoy on the Raleigh, just a short half mile from shore. Well also be mooring the C.B. Benson but it's a little longer swim at 7.5 miles. Ian
Where would you like to pick us up? :wink: Just loading the final items in the car and we're out of here.

Just got back. Advtech, as usual did all the work, and us hangers-on just swam around looking at stuff.

He's got the Benson and the Raleigh completed. I had a slight problem with two right gloves, which wasn't serious enough to stop from diving, but it did make the left hand workings kind of awkward :)

It MUST have been my kids playing around with my gear again..............

Many thanks to OTE (Over The Edge) for his volunteering of his boat and his time, as well as Advtech for his work, so the rest of us can go and have fun without ever wondering how these "background" workings, make our life diving these wrecks possible in the first palce.

Steve

Glad it went well. The weather certainly wasn't too nice, although when we got home we were told it was a lot worse here (3/4" of rain in our gauge).

We did dive Sherkston and I really enjoyed it. I did 2 dives, located the engines the first dive and the ore cars and pump house the second. I's estimate vis at 20 to 30 feet (it varied). At the ore cars, there are 2 end to end and you could see the entire length of both and I'd say they're at least 15 feet long each. Shot some video. A few minutes of fairly good video (need a wider angle lens), not great (I'm just at the start of that learning curve, only the second outing with the UW housing). Water temp was 44F (air about the same).
What are temps like out in the lake? Where did you boat out of?

The temp on the Benson was 40 degrees.

We went out of Port Colborne.

I guess this is where we apologize for dropping our 40lb anchor smack down on the wreck :-(

We knew we'd be close....but what are the odds?

Well, I'm not sure if we dropped it or dragged it across, but either way, we think we ripped a few things off of it.

Oh well, better luck next year. OTE just has to learn to not call the drop so precisely, this isn't the Doria!

OK OK, I can't let that stand over night. I'm just yanking your collective chains.......

Hehehehe.

But it would have been nice to see what the local rumour mill would have churned out by Monday AM.

hehehheehe

Have a good Mother's Day, all

Steve

Scuba_Steve:
Many thanks to OTE (Over The Edge) for his volunteering of his boat and his time, as well as Advtech for his work, so the rest of us can go and have fun without ever wondering how these "background" workings, make our life diving these wrecks possible in the first palce.
Steve

And I thought the stuff just magically appeard... Thanks for taking all the mystery out of it.. Next you'll tell me there is no Santa and the Easter bunny is a fake too....

There is a Santa, and he's TOTALLY DIR. There's no way a simple Strok-a-claus could nav the world in one night!

Just giving the folks that do this volunteer work their just kudo's. This unfortunately isn't Kingston and the surrounding area, where virtual dive gods (TomR etc) tehehehe, are so abundant that there's more than enough to do all that needs to be done.

(Well I assume the Santa Claus of the deep IS TomR). He single handedly, in one ALU80, gets all the moorings done in a single dive :)

Just to clarify TomR, it wasn't me calling the drop, but the guy at the Helm IS that good!

I thought he was kidding when he asked if we wanted to drop on the Bow or the Stern. I said we didn't care, so he just nestled it right in the middle!

hehehehe

Steve

Scuba_Steve:
Just to clarify TomR, it wasn't me calling the drop, but the guy at the Helm IS that good!

I thought he was kidding when he asked if we wanted to drop on the Bow or the Stern. I said we didn't care, so he just nestled it right in the middle!
Steve

OK.. So what brand of fish finder and GPS is he using? :wink:
Maybe the DIR Santa deliverd some new toys for christmas?

On an unrelated note.. I'm 100% stroke, and proud of it... The guy with the most stuff dangling of his multiple D-rings wins :) I'm about a greceful as a pregnant hippo in the water.. but I'm still having fun..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom