Shipping Tanks Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZ_Zoner

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm thinking about selling a double set of 108s on Ebay. They weigh in at 105lbs with out packaging. Does anyone have any experience in shipping tanks and by what means did you ship them? UPS seemed a little high on the price.

I was thinking about wrapping them in cardboard and strapping them to a pallet. Does this sound like a good way to package them? I know I need to remove the valves and would package them separately.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

CB

Underwater Connection:
I'm thinking about selling a double set of 108s on Ebay. They weigh in at 105lbs with out packaging. Does anyone have any experience in shipping tanks and by what means did you ship them? UPS seemed a little high on the price.

I was thinking about wrapping them in cardboard and strapping them to a pallet. Does this sound like a good way to package them? I know I need to remove the valves and would package them separately.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

CB
I sent four aluminum tanks back to Luxfer using Unishippers, a shipping broker. 800 226 3454 is the number. The actual shipper was Airborne Ground.

I just sent them loose, but it would have been cheaper if they had been boxed since there is a surcharge for round things.

I bought some tanks from someone in Boston a few years ago. We shipped them on a greyhound bus, with valves out and packed separately. No need to package the tanks, but tape up the valve openings to keep out dirt, etc.. Can't remember the cost, I'm thinking about $35 for both, but not sure. I picked them up on a sunday sfternoon at the local terminal.

I usually try to have tanks shipped by mail. I live in Hawaii, and any UPS shipping comes in by 2nd day air, that take the price through the roof. By mail, you can ship up to 70 pounds parcel post. I have shipped several tanks from as far away as Florida, and shipping seems to run around $35 per tank. You might contemplate separating, the doubles, and shipping.
Aloha Turtleguy

DiverRick69:
I picked them up on a sunday sfternoon at the local terminal.
You're braver than I.
I wouldn't pick up a PERSON from any local Greyhound terminals here in SoCal, and I don't have to park and get out of my truck to do that.

Yes, I agree that unless you have a UPS account, FedEx is cheaper. For shipping cylinders, I remove valves (or manifold and bands) box the cylinders up in appropriate box (original shipping box is preferred), with cap in threads. Then, another box for valves or manifold and bands. I have shipped numerous cylinders like this, with no issues. Price in the continental USA is not bad, about $20-25 per cylinder (depending on weight) if you have a UPS account, but I wouldnt want to ship to Hawaii or overseas anywhere. And remember, when shipping to Canada, dont use UPS, you are better off using Postal service because of the brokerage fees UPS charges which are exorbitant.

Fill the tanks with helium. Should lighten them up a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom