Shock to the system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all of the suggestions and info, I'll try acclimating myself to the water, and definitely good to know I'm not the only one this has happened too.

I do see more drills in the future, we used to do it once weekend at the quarry last year,albeit on the warm platforms but very little this year..gonna hope for the best.

Always an adventure going underwater

My friend had a similar situation. He was told by the DI that the sudden cold triggers a gag reflex. He always dunks his head in the water without a mask on before starting a dive.

The same thing with me. In warm water it's completely fine, but in cold water I have to really focus to breathe properly once the mask is off. I never panicked, but the feeling is quite disturbing.

I used to be mega bothered by mask removal even in warm water but I just practiced it heaps and it is no drama at all now, but can take some time for people to get used to it. The coldest I've experienced is 9C/48F when doing this.

I still have a higher breathing rate though when in cold water when my mask comes off even though I don't feel nervous. I don't know if that is something practice can solve? In my cave course we had to do buddy breathing while maskless and swimming out (was 11 or 12C/52-54F)) and I did feel out of breath whereas I wouldn't with the same exercise with a mask on. I think it was about eight minutes only but my face hurt bad by the end!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom