Shock to the system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UntamedSpirit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After about 50 dives, I'd thought I was finally getting it, I'd shed 6 lbs from my check out weight, I could frog kick, and control buoyancy, and trim, was pretty proud of myself. I was feeling like maybe time to try rescue, and maybe do a wreck class. I'd even got confident enough to venture out of the Quarry/Caribbean into the Atlantic a bit, and it went well.

Well saturday at the quarry I got a shock to the system, we were past the thermocline ( I did ow checkout in warmer quarry water, 61 according to log book, this was about 50 ) I had a mask flood, cleared and it flooded again. So i figured I'd remove the mask and re-seat it, as soon as the mask was off, and cold water hit my face..i panicked. it felt like I couldn't breathe, even though I was hyperventilating i'm not sure why. I could barely get air out my nose to clear the mask, I am really not happy with what happened.

It seemed like forever, but the dive profile shows it was a minute.
I think the cold may have something to do with it, as after the dive, I hit one of the platforms and had my buddy watch me do a replace, and I did it ok, not the best, but completed. All other times I had done mask replacement here at ~25 feet, so I hope it was the cold, and maybe if I do mask replacements in the colder area's I'll get more accustomed to it.

When I get back home, I'm gonna go to my LDS, and see if I can get a DM or instructor to do a dive to the deep platform at our quarry in a few weeks, and just watch me do mask drills, hopefully they will have some tips.

I frequently dive quarries (I have over 250 dives in 1 quarry alone). The bottom of the deep end of my "home base" quarry is at about 90- 115ft & the temps below 60 ft is always a "refreshingly cool":D 42 degrees. That cold water can indeed be quite a shock to the system & is not something to be trifled with. It is a very harsh environment. Can it be dealt with & adapted to? Yes, of course it can, but should be done so with prudence. When water that cold hits the face, it can trigger the Mammalian Diving Reflex, which can screw with your breathing pattern. In my Adv. Nitrox/ Deco course, my instructor made us remove our masks at depth & replace it with a back- up. Good thing he gave us plenty of warning about it. I practiced it for 2 weeks before actually having to do it. The first time, I had my buddy (also an OWSI) hold on to me, during the exercise, in case I panicked & tried to bolt. The other times, I was OK, knowing I could do it if I had to (though still not easy). One thing that helped me some was to flood the mask & let the water sit there for a moment to allow my face a little time to adjust. Also whenever I flood the mask in warm or cold water, I tuck my chin to my chest to help prevent accidentally sucking air in through the nose, thus making the problem worse. Have the DM/ Instructor hold on to you the first time, like I did, to prevent you from going anywhere during the drill & to help stabilize you. Be prepared for a major "ice cream headache" when the cold water hits your face also, it can happen. The drill can be done, though probably not the easiest thing to do. Good luck to you.

I got my first "ice cream headache" yesterday at 50' in a quarry. It was my first time to 50', we were checking out a sunken boat on a buoy line. As soon as I got to the boat I felt like I had a migraine. This was my 5th dive ever so I still have a very steep learning curve and it made me freak out for a second because it was my first time a that depth and for a second I didn't know if it was the depth, cold, or I didn't clear enough. I went back up about 15' and my headache went away, and I could feel the water get warmer. My computer read 71 degrees as my max but we were getting those temps at 30-35' so I don't know if I was at 50 long enough for my computer to register a new temp(also getting used to my new computer). It felt colder and I didn't have a hood on or anything.

its funny, i don't remember my instructor warning me about the cold mask removal. The pool was easy but during the ocean dive when we had to do it again, it really caught me off guard, had to really concentrate on my breathing then everything was fine.

Try this: before you submerge, take your mask off and plant your face in the water. Take at least five deep breaths through your reg or snorkel, then start yor dive. Once you pass the thermocline, flood your mask completely and breathe through the discomfort before clearing. You might need to use something to hold your depth, like your buddy or a down line. Repeat at each thermocline you encounter.

I've done checkouts in temps as low as 38 degrees without ever having had a student bolt during the mask off work. It's still not pleasant, but it does become far more tolerable.

Sounds like my quarry, One thing I remeber from my OW checkout is our instructor always told us to put our faces in the water without mask on and breath off regulator for a min this way it gives you face/body time to aclimate itself to the water temp. And if you don't do so you pose a seriuos risk to have the same reaction as you did. But even still now the quarry surface is probably close to 70F and bottom 45~ so might/might not help but I do it before every dive.

I think the coldest water I've ever had to remove my mask in was 28f. Seawater obviously, on a night dive in Alaska when my mask was knocked and dislodged. That was certainly a bit of a shock to the system!

Greetings UntamedSpirit and I am glad you are ok!
Cold water can have a unforgiving nature at times but now that you have experienced this it will be more manageable.
I am certain you will not allow your mask skills to become rusty and one should practice frequently. I like to practice every dive either on the front or at the end of the dive.
Ice cream headaches are not pleasant but usually pass in a few short moments till numbness kicks in.
This has happened several times to me and the old, "STOP, THINK, THEN ACT!" kicks in and muscle memory takes over. The first thing I hear in my head is to regain breathing control and buoyancy if need be. Then calmly replace or clear your mask, regardless the bells ringing in your ears DO NOT GET IN A HURRY! It will only make it worse.

Your self prescribed training will help to prepare you should it happen again. Stay sharp and be sure to practice all your skills. They can and will save you when you need them!
Good luck and safe diving!
CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

Back
Top Bottom