"shoes" to use with Atomic Split Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that with everyone having a different foot size and shape, kick style, fin type, strap preference and diving conditions make the shoe vs. bootie a very individualized choice. I clearly see g1138's point about chaffing and avoiding it with booties.

My favorite tropics travel combo are water shoes and AquaLung Hotshots...light weight, great for snoreling yet still give me the control I want while on "touristy" rec dives.

I don't know how it would work on a bare foot, but when I dive in my dry suit I use a pair of convers chuck taylors. Works like a charm, I even ordered them custom to match my suit! :)

I use a pair of Bare high tops with a built in strap stop, a small extention on the boot approximately an inch or so above the bottom of the heal. It works very well in keeping the spring from ridding up my heal. I previously used a pair of Hendersons and the spring rode up above the rubber of the heal. The spring staps eventually started to wear away the neoprene of the booties. If buying a new pair of booties isnt what you are up to I suggest going back to the factory straps, which is what I intended on doing until finding my Bare brand booties.

I don't know how it would work on a bare foot, but when I dive in my dry suit I use a pair of convers chuck taylors. Works like a charm, I even ordered them custom to match my suit! :)

Last summer I met a guy who was wearing Converse Chuck Taylors while diving (not in a dry suit). He said that he wears lycra scuba socks underneath and that they lasted longer than regular scuba boots...and were easier for walking on rocky shores. I guess they would be OK for warm water diving.

My Atomic splits (with spring straps just so you know I'm in the in crowd - LOL) are a size "L." I wear a size 9.5 to 10 shoe. The booties or boots I wear have very little sole protruding on the sides and no rubber on the top of the toe/foot. That makes it easy to remove the fins while in the water. I found that booties/boots with a lot of rubber protruding around the sole and/or covering the foot make the fins want to stick and they're quite difficult to remove. The Atomics have open toes too. I probably would not choose the ones you show for those reasons only.

Most any of them with last a long time. Especially if you like that "salty" look. I like the booties better than boots but here in Cozumel there's a lot of Hydra so I can close a little exposed skin by wearing boots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom