shopping in coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan,

From what I saw when I was there, the prices were not terrible, but not great. There are a few dive stores, including two on corners across from Prima's. They are handy if you forgot or lost or broke something, but I would gear up at home first.
-------------------

Consider checking into the "alternate route" to Cozumel. Sometimes that can be a lot cheaper and sometimes can save many hours also.

I am talking about flying to Cancun, Rivera Bus to Playa Del Carmen, then Ferry to the Island. Something to consider. Did it last June, doing it again in July.

Found a good website last Friday that described it in detail, but that bookmark is at work (and I am not).

Wristshot.

Dan,

Since I am at work now (notice I waited until lunch time like a good little worker bee) I found the link I was thinking of.

Here is the link:

http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/GettingHere.htm

There is a fair amount of good information within this site.

I read through the stuff last week, and it seemed to be pretty right on with what I remember from last summer.

One time I found airfares directly to Cozumel that were close enough to the Cancun rates to be worth considering, but that was just one day out of probably more than a dozen times I have looked in the last few months. Of course, as they say, YMMV.

Enjoy!

Wristshot

Everything diving related is expensive I found. I looked into getting a shorty...cheapest I found was 150!

DrSteve:
Everything diving related is expensive I found. I looked into getting a shorty...cheapest I found was 150!

Do you have an Academy Sports and Outdoors where you are? If you do, go back into their waterskiing/boogieboarding department; you can get a 3mm shorty for $50-60. It won't have any cool diving logos on it, but that's what costs the extra $100, I guess.

I will agree on buying shorty at Academy. Wife(non-diver) wanted shorty as she was sick of snorkel vest. Bought one in Academy for 50. Not all dive gear needs to be bought at dive shops. I get my o-ring grease at Home Depot. 99 cents for a small jar. Also the little etch -a- sketch kids toys that can be bought at Toys-R-Us work just fine for a erasable slate. First trip I brought one on no one believed it would work until they saw it work at 80'. If lost only cost a couple of bucks.

However I buy all the important stuff at a dive shop.

leiserom:
...the little etch -a- sketch kids toys that can be bought at Toys-R-Us work just fine for a erasable slate. First trip I brought one on no one believed it would work until they saw it work at 80'. If lost only cost a couple of bucks.

That's a new one on me. I can't even write legibly on an Etch-A-Sketch on dry land; I can't imagine it when a little narced... ;^)

ggunn:
That's a new one on me. I can't even write legibly on an Etch-A-Sketch on dry land; I can't imagine it when a little narced... ;^)
They're actually Magna-Doodles. They have a pen. It's the same thing as the quest slates but because it's a kids toy instead of a dive accessory they cost half as much, and work just as well.

James

James Goddard:
They're actually Magna-Doodles. They have a pen. It's the same thing as the quest slates but because it's a kids toy instead of a dive accessory they cost half as much, and work just as well.

James

Oh, OK. I had this vision of you drifting along the wall, head down, twiddling the little X-Y knobs on an Etch-A-Sketch, trying to make letters. It sounded a bit, um, challenging... ;^)

Back
Top Bottom