Shore dive weekend of 7/24 & 25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:06: MB glad I got to meet you and your family. Can't wait to read your squid post. Sorry we missed connections with everyone else. We arrived late and went to both sections and the only folks we could find from Scuba Board was MB. So we will plan to meet & greet at another time with you all. Hope everyone had a great dive.

Zuzanne

Zuzanne, Sorry we didn't get to dive together today. We tried for the middle reef at Deerfield, but ended up at the southend because the parking was better. We looked for you and Freedive (Sorry MB, we didin't know you were coming...), and even got a really late start because I had a regulator problem. A group of divers came back, Nick the Instructor told us Bill would fix it over at Dixie Divers. So off I went to get my reg fixed. By the time I got back it was 10:20! Thanks Bill!
We hung out the rest of the day at the south end and finally disbanded round 3 or so.

Scuba_Jenny:
We tried for the middle reef at Deerfield, but ended up at the southend because the parking was better.

Hey Jenny, what do you mean by "middle reef" and "southend"? Are you talking about areas at the strip, between the fire/rescue station and Trespassers' Ledge, or are you referring to other Deerfield sites?

MB:
Hey Jenny, what do you mean by "middle reef" and "southend"? Are you talking about areas at the strip, between the fire/rescue station and Trespassers' Ledge, or are you referring to other Deerfield sites?

See this post.

Marc

We were according to FLL Divers post, we were at the south end, in front of Embassy Suites. Originally we were gonna try to do the middle, but the parking stip was pretty full, so we opted to go south. So sorry we missed ya.

I've been as far south as the Embassy Suites, but never dove below that area, and I never entered from down there. The entry is ok? No lifeguard hassles?

I'll add that area to my list...

Entry is fine. Life guard did not give us any hassles. However, I wasn't impressed at all with the reef...if you want to call it that. We were pretty much right in front of the Embassy Suites. Then we swam way way out. We got to see a lot of sand on our dive today. Found quite a few sand dollars, oh and a lot of sand.

Scuba_Jenny:
We were according to FLL Divers post, we were at the south end, in front of Embassy Suites. Originally we were gonna try to do the middle, but the parking stip was pretty full, so we opted to go south. So sorry we missed ya.
Jenny,
I was looking for all of you between 8:00am to 9:00am but couldn’t find anyone, only other groups of divers…….so I headed back home and continued unpacking.
Are we diving tomorrow early in the morning? Please post time and location and PM me your cell phone number if you don’t mind just in case I get lost again……….

Actually, after today's dive, we could call ourselves the Florida Sand Divers. It was a nice, long swim with some great dive buddies (Rick and Angie were a team, and I buddied with Marvel and Jenny.) We entered just South of the last rockpile in front of the Embassy Suites and swam northeast. The reef ledge was pretty low-profile (~2 ft), so we swam over some gorgonians and out onto the sand, thinking that we were heading to a better reef line. And we continued to swim over sand. And we continued to swim over sand. We picked up a few very nice sand dollars and we continued to swim over sand. Did I mention that we were swimming into the current over a huge expanse of sand? (vast expanse of sand - wasn't that from Ozymandias? No, that was "The lone and level sands stretch far away."
But I digress)

Anyway, it was a helluva lot of sand.

The nice thing was that when we raised up off the bottom (I ran low on air - Jenny and Marvel still had plenty.) we were able to ride the current most of the way back to the beach. We spent the next few hours hanging out together on the beach (It was pretty hot, but Rick and Angie came prepared with tents and umbrellas that we clustered around. My family was able to join us, as were Krista and Lee, and we all spent time snorkeling around the beach, looking at a medium-sized (~3ft) barracuda that swam right up to shore.

All in all, a good day with good friends. Right now, I'm a little red and cooked and raw, but I'm still planning to try to dive in the morning, around 0700 from Greene Street in Hollywood. (That's in the water by 0700 - tomorrow's a family day.)

Safe ascents,
Grier

One more quick note - Thanks to Nick and Bill from Dixie Divers. And a big hello to Dive Master Bill who was diving with their group.

Nick gave us some good info about the reef (which we misinterpreted, apparently.), and Bill at the shop did a very quick repair to Jenny's reg that allowed her to dive after an equipment failure. Great work guys, I hope to dive with you in the future.

-Grier

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom